David Palumbo is a partner and head of the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in Baker McKenzie's Toronto office. David serves as a member of the North American Capital Markets Steering Committee. He serves as Vice-Chair of the Executive Board of the You Can Play Project, a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring the inclusion of all in sports, and co-chair of the Toronto legal community's largest annual fundraiser, AIDSbeat, in support of the Canadian Foundation for AIDS Research (CANFAR).
David practices securities and corporate law, focusing on public and private financings by both private and public issuers in sectors including healthcare and life sciences/biotechs. He advises investment funds and asset managers on regulatory compliance. He advises issuers and investment dealers in connection with registration matters and the establishment, operation and administration of publicly offered and privately placed investment funds, including hedge funds, closed-end funds, mutual funds and the placement of securities in Canada of foreign issuers.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2006)
- University of Windsor (LL.B.) (2005)
- University of Western Ontario (B.A., Honours) (2000)
- Co-author, "Hostile Takeover Bids: Offeror Strategies and Defensive Tactics" portion of the "Capital Markets and M&A" practice area in Lexis Practice Advisor, a legal research tool published by LexisNexis in Canada, February 2021
- Co-author, "Timely Disclosure Requirements" portion of the "Capital Markets and M&A" practice area in Lexis Practice Advisor, a legal research tool published by LexisNexis in Canada, December 2019
- Co-author, “CSA Issues Guidance on Know-Your-Client, Know-Your-Product and Suitability Obligations,” Baker McKenzie Client Alert, January 2014
- Speaker, "Portfolio Management Association of Canada," The 2014 Year in Review – Lessons Learned from Regulatory Audits (CSA, FINTRAC and SEC), December 2014
- Program Co-Chair, Ontario Bar Association, 12th Annual OSC, TSX and IIROC Update, June 2014
- Speaker, 2014 Intellectual Property Law Spring Series, Global Pharmaceutical Patent Licensing Considerations – North American Deal Activity, June 2014
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.