Antonio Ortuzar Jr. is the Managing Partner and head of the Mining Practice Group of the Firm’s Santiago office. Antonio is also the joint coordinator of the Latin America Energy, Mining, Chemicals and Infrastructure Group.
Mr. Ortuzar has extensive experience in all aspects of project finance, mining and natural resources, merger & acquisitions, securities, telecommunications, capital markets, insurance and pension funds. He regularly represents mining clients in all phases of mining projects from “green field” to “brown field”, including acquisition, financing, exploitation, operation and closing. He has also advised on the issuance of bonds and placement of shares in the Chilean Stock Market and ADR in the New York Stock Exchange.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted Latin American Power (LAP), an electric generation company, in the purchase of The Totoral Project, on of Chile´s first wind energy projects.
- Advised Raytheon on the creation and launch of a Global Human Resources Department which will include payroll, accounting, finance and global directory applications.
- Advised Haldeman Mining Company, a Chilean mining company, in arranging a financing of USD31.1 million necessary to begin the Tambo de Oro Mining Project.
- Represented Andina Minerals Inc. in a support agreement valuing approximately USD103 million.
- Represents an international mining company in private bids for long-term power purchase, water supply and port services agreements in connection with the development and operation of a major mining project.
- Advised on a USD1 billion loan agreement to finance a major mining project in the north of Chile.
- Advised on a USD724 million cross-border joint venture between two foreign mining companies to develop a copper-molybdenum project in Chile.
- Advised on a USD20 million cross-border acquisition of two hydroelectric power plants. Handled the negotiation process, due diligence, agreement and subscription of shares in a three-week timeframe.
- Advised on a USD100 million acquisition of a gold mine with expected capacity of 5,000,000 lbs. of gold.
- Served as counsel to a USD100 million, 100 percent privately funded project to develop a port facility and exploit an iron rich area in Chile, including providing legal support to the initial partnership, the joint venture agreement, port constructions, negotiations and operations.
- Leading Lawyer, IFLR1000, 2014
- Winner for 2013 Project Finance Lawyer of the Year - Chile, Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards
- Recognized, The International Who's Who of Mining Lawyers, Who's Who Legal 2012
- Leading Lawyer, Lawyers World 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chilean-Spanish Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Chilean-USA Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Chilean-British Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Chilean-Australian Chamber of Commerce - Vice Chair
- Chilean Bar Association - Member
- Chilean-Canadian Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Chile (1989)
- Academy of American and International Law (Southwestern Legal Foundation) (1992)
- University Gabriela Mistral (LL.B. Juridical and Social Sciences) (1988)
- New York