Thuy Hang Nguyen is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Ho Chi Minh City office and the head of the Employment and Labor, and Compliance and Investigations practices in Vietnam.
Her diverse working experience, broad knowledge in various areas of law, and business management qualifications allows her to provide clients with practical and commercially savvy legal advice, and to create effective, strategic and innovative solutions for her clients to navigate around the ever-changing legal landscape of Vietnam.
As head of Baker McKenzie Vietnam’s Employment and Labor practice, Hang is in charge of developing and providing strategy for the practice, training and coaching team members and coordinating the global and regional employment practices when related to Vietnam. She is a member of the Steering Committees for the Firm's JAO and Asia Pacific Employment Practice Groups, and the Global Immigration and Mobility Group. Hang is also a leading authority and frequent speaker on employment and labor law in Vietnam and the Asia Pacific region.
Hang Nguyen focuses on various employment and labor matters involving contentious and non-contentious issues. She particularly places emphasis on labor regulations compliance, the employment aspects of major corporate restructurings and transactions, employment issues in relation to senior executives and managers, global migration and executive mobility, restrictive covenants and trade secrets, and labor dispute resolution.
Hang also heads the Investigation, Compliance and Ethics practice of the firm in Vietnam. In this space, she is involved in a wide range of Investigation, Compliance and Ethics matters, focusing on regulatory compliance, anti-corruption, compliance, and workplace conduct investigations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on the settlement of individual and collective labor disputes, including strikes.
- Advising on privacy issues, whistleblowing, compliance reporting and helpline schemes.
- Advising on compensation structure, salary, insurance and other employee benefits.
- Advising on replacement and termination of services of those in managerial positions, such as general managers, regional managers and chief representatives.
- Advising on relocation, secondments and work permits of foreign staff.
- Advising on wide ranges of investigation, compliance and ethics matters.
- Leading Individual Lawyer and Tier 1 Firm for Labor & Employment - Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2021-2022
- Band 1 Sole Leading Lawyer, Band 1 Sole Firm for Employment - Chambers Asia Pacific, 2021-2022
- Recognized Practitioner - Asian Legal Business 40 Under 40, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City Chapter, Governor of the Board of Governors (2019 – date), Vice-Chair of 2022 Board
- European Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam, corporate member representative of Baker McKenzie and member of the HR & Training Sector Committe (2018 – date)
- British Business Group Vietnam, corporate member representative of Baker McKenzie (2019 – date)
- Ho Chi Minh City~Vietnam (2010)
- New York~United States (2009)
- University of Hawaii at Manoa (Executive MBA) (2010)
- Southern Methodist University, Dedman School of Law (LL.M. International & Comparative Law) (2006)
- Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam (B.A. International Law) (2003)