Roy Melick is the past chairman of the Firm's Global Real Estate Group and the Asia Pacific Structured Real Estate Group. He was a founding member of the Asia Pacific REITs Group and the Firm's Hotels, Resorts and Tourism Group. Roy is recommended by The Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in Australia, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific, Doyle's Guide, PLC Cross-Border Handbook: Corporate Real Estate, PLC Which lawyer? and Legal Media Group's Expert Guides for his commercial real estate and hotels industry experience.
Roy's practice focuses on all aspects of commercial property and tourism industry transactions. This includes the acquisition and sale of numerous hotels and resorts, CBD commercial buildings, shopping centres, large-scale property leasing and numerous structured acquisitions, sales, workouts, developments, financing and hotel management agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on the structured acquisition of commercial and retail properties for Asian REITs and funds.
- Advising on the sale and purchase of major commercial property buildings for local and international clients (including property funds).
- Advising on the sale of shopping centre complexes.
- Advising on the structured sale and purchase of hotels and resorts assets and portfolios for local and international and Australian clients (including property trusts).
- Best Lawyers - Hospitality and Tourism Law and Real Property Law, 2014-2024
- Best Lawyers - Lawyer of the Year - Hospitality and Tourism Law, 2020
- Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers: Australia, 2014-2019
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, Leading individual 2018 - 2024
- Key Individual in Real Estate, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2008-2024
- Expert in Construction & Real Estate (Australia), Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides
- Expert in Real Estate (Australia), Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides
- Leading New South Wales Property & Real Estate Lawyer, Doyle’s Guide
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Property Council of Australia - Hotel Property Committee
- Law Society of Victoria - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- New South Wales~Australia
- University of Sydney (LL.B.)
- University of New South Wales (B.A.)