Roy Melick is the past chairman of the Firm's Global Real Estate Group and the Asia Pacific Structured Real Estate Group. He is an active member of the Asia Pacific REITs Group and a founding member of the Firm's Hotels, Resorts and Tourism Group. Roy is recommended by The Australian Financial Review’s Best Lawyers in Australia, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific, Doyle's Guide, PLC Cross-Border Handbook: Corporate Real Estate, PLC Which lawyer? and Legal Media Group's Expert Guides for his commercial real estate and hotels industry experience.
Roy's practice focuses on all aspects of commercial property and tourism industry transactions. This includes the acquisition and sale of numerous CBD commercial buildings and shopping centres, large-scale property leasing and numerous structured acquisitions, sales, workouts, developments, financing and management of hotels and resorts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on the structured acquisition of retail properties for Asian REITs.
- Advising on the sale and purchase of major commercial property buildings for local and international clients (including property funds).
- Advising on the sale of shopping centre complexes.
- Advising on the structured sale and purchase of hotels and resorts assets and portfolios for local and international clients (including property trusts).
- Best Lawyer in Hospitality and Tourism Law (Sydney), Australian Financial Review's Best Lawyers: Australia, 2014-2018
- Key Individual in Real Estate, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2008-2018
- Expert in Construction & Real Estate (Australia), Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides, 2016-2017
- Expert in Real Estate (Australia), Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides 2015
- Leading New South Wales Property & Real Estate Lawyer, Doyle’s Guide 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Property Council of Australia - Tourism Committee
- Law Society of Victoria - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Asia Pacific Real Estate Association (APREA) - Board Member of the Australian Chapter
- Victoria~Australia (1989)
- New South Wales~Australia (1975)
- University of Sydney (LL.B.)
- University of New South Wales (B.A.)