Santiago Maqueda focuses his practice on regulatory assessment and complex litigation and arbitration, especially for clients in public contracting and the pharmaceutical, energy and telecommunications industries. He regularly provides clients with preventative advice on contracts with government entities, partners and suppliers; continuously monitors during contract management to mitigate risks and liabilities; analyzes the best ways to comply with or challenge, as appropriate, applicable regulations; and prepares and implements robust, complex litigation or arbitration strategies.
Santiago joined Baker McKenzie in 2015 as a Senior Associate, having previously worked for the National Chamber of Appeals on Federal Administrative Matters and as a foreign attorney at King & Spalding. He was named partner in 2021.
As an extension of his practice, Santiago has published three books and more than 35 book chapters and articles related to his areas of specialization. He is also a professor of constitutional law, administrative law, and economic law analysis at Austral University Law School.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counsel to Biogen on the introduction of a high-cost drug in the Argentine market, including the negotiation of an agreement with the National Health Ministry to ensure national coverage, representation in more than 10 patient trials in different provinces, and the means to appeal regulatory measures established by the National Executive Power.
- Counsel to Unisys Corporation, a corporate software developer, on reciprocal multimillion dollar claims in a lawsuit and an international arbitration against the Argentine Government.
- Assisted Potasio Rio Colorado S.A., local subsidiary of Brazilian mining company Vale, in multijurisdictional litigation against the Province of Neuquén’s USD 8 million aggregate claims for alleged breach of an executed public contract.
- Represented a leading provider of audio/video electronics company in a class action lawsuit filed by a consumer alleging massive breach of information obligations towards client’s customers regarding the conditions of use of certain of its products.
- Advised Celistics in an ICC arbitration claim against Huawei for partial breach of contract resulting from its failure to pay pending and past due invoices in relation to a distribution agreement for mobile telephone devices covering several Latin American jurisdictions.
- Advised RATP Dev. S.A., the subway operator for Paris and the surrounding region, in the international public tender conducted by Subterráneos de Buenos Aires State-owned Company (SBASE), the regulator of the City of Buenos Aires metro.
- Represents a global energy and petrochemical group operating in Argentina in a collective environmental lawsuit in the province of Neuquén.
- Advises Twitter on a groundbreaking multimillion dollar defamation lawsuit filed by a public figure.
- Advises a social networking company in the design and implementation of its voluntary mechanisms to cooperate with authorities during national elections, in order to provide information regarding political parties’ electoral expense in paid ads as well as to receive take down requests issued by Federal Courts during campaign ban periods.
- Advises and represents pharmaceutical companies in various public bidding procedures for the provision of medical products before the Ministry of Health and the National Agency and the National Institute of Social Services for Retirees and Pensioners (PAMI).
- Represented a construction company in a multi-million dollar arbitration regarding higher-than-quoted costs generated during the construction of a power plant.
- Advised a leading global network for sharing accommodations in assessing potential challenges, courses of action, and mitigation strategies with regard to regulations that affected its business directly.
- Represented a global firm specializing in agricultural products and environmental protection agents in several administrative and judicial proceedings against the Province of Chaco.
- Advised construction companies in the creation and development of trust funds and other monetary contribution legal structures for public works and infrastructure projects.
- Russel Baker Scholarship (The University of Chicago, 2013)
- Best Thesis Award: Market Prices and State Prices (Austral University, 2012)
- First in Masters Class (Austral University, 2012)
- Austral University Masters Scholarship (Austral University, 2010)
- Best Thesis Award: Federalism and Regulation of Interstate Commerce (Austral University, 2009)
- Julio Oyhanarte Award (Austral University, 2009)
- Guillermo A. Borda Award (Austral University, 2009)
- First in J.D. Class (Austral University, 2009)
- Austral University J.D. Scholarship (Austral University, 2005)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Buenos Aires Bar Association – Member
- Young International Arbitration Group (London Court of International Arbitration)
- ICDR Young & International (American Arbitration Association)
- USCIB Young Arbitrators Forum (International Court of Arbitration)
- Buenos Aires~Argentina (2010)
- University of Chicago Law School (Master of Laws (LL.M.) (honors equivalent)) (2014)
- Universidad Austral (Master in Administrative Law (first in class)) (2012)
- Universidad Austral (J.D. (first in class)) (2009)
- Duke University School of Law (Fall semester) (2008)
- Los controles de precios (Buenos Aires, Ábaco, 2019)
- La delegación legislativa y el Estado regulatorio (Buenos Aires, Ábaco, 2017)
- Tratado de la regulación para el abastecimiento (Buenos Aires, Ábaco, 2015)
- More than 35 book chapters and legal articles on expropriation, economic regulation, protection of investments, and property rights