Brigid is a senior associate with Baker McKenzie, Sydney and practices in all aspects of employment law with a focus on industrial relations, enterprise agreement making, modern award coverage and compliance and negotiations with trade unions. As a secondee, she has gained significant experience in employee and industrial relations in the media, banking and finance, and manufacturing industries. Brigid regularly provides training in employment law, human resources and industrial relations issues. She also has significant experience in employment-related litigation. Brigid joined Baker McKenzie's Employment and Industrial Relations Group in May 2007. Before commencing at the Firm, she was a research associate to Justice Wright, President, Industrial Relations Commission of New South Wales.
Brigid's experience ranges from advising on and drafting enterprise agreements and the agreement making process; advising on and defending employment-related litigation including preparation of affidavits/witness statements, subpoenas and motions in various industrial state and federal courts and tribunals; and general employee relations advice. She has appeared and had carriage of matters in the Federal Court of Australia, the Federal Circuit Court of Australia, the Supreme Court of New South Wales, the Fair Work Commission, various state industrial courts and tribunals in New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland and Western Australia. She worked on secondment in various industries including media and entertainment, banking and financial services and manufacturing, advising on enterprise bargaining and industrial relations strategy, commercial transactions impacting employees, general employee relations and compliance issues, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising clients across a broad range of industries on general employment and industrial law issues including termination, performance management, industrial instrument coverage and application, employee relations and independent contractors.
- Advising on and defending general employment-related litigation including unfair dismissal and adverse action claims, good faith bargaining and industrial disputes, breach of contract claims and discrimination claims.
- Advising on transaction-related employment issues in the context of both asset and share sales, including advising on redundancy, termination, transfer, hiring and integration issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Labour Law Association - Member
- New South Wales Equal Employment Opportunity Practitioners Association - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2006)
- Australian National University (LL.B.) (2005)
- University of New South Wales (B.A. History and English) (2001)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma Legal Practice)
Co-author, "When silence threatens safety: Lessons from the first Canberra Hospital neurosurgical inquiry," 12 JLM 112, 2004
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.