Creighton Macy is the Chair of the Firm's North America Antitrust & Competition Practice Group. Creighton has extensive experience representing clients in a wide variety of antitrust matters, including mergers and acquisitions, investigations by the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, private litigation, and counselling on issues such as antitrust compliance. Before joining the Firm, Creighton served as chief of staff and senior counsel in the Department of Justice Antitrust Division, working as a senior advisor to the acting assistant attorney general on civil and criminal antitrust enforcement and policy matters, as well as budget and personnel issues. During Creighton's time at the DOJ, the Antitrust Division undertook an unprecedented volume of high-profile civil and criminal matters.
Creighton began his career as a trial attorney in the Litigation III and Transportation, Energy, and Agriculture sections of the Antitrust Division, working on a number of notable merger and civil non-merger investigations and cases. Before rejoining the Antitrust Division as its chief of staff he was a member of another global law firm's antitrust practice, where he advised clients on a wide range of US and international antitrust issues.
In his role as chair of the American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee, Creighton regularly speaks and publishes articles relating to a variety of antitrust issues.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised a leading cinema operator on the US antitrust aspects with respect to its USD 2.1 billion acquisition by another leading cinema operator, creating one of the world's largest cinema companies.
Advised a global shipping company before US DOJ in a cartel investigation that closed without any action.
Advised a leading specialty chemicals and industrial adhesives manufacturer on the antitrust aspects of a USD 2.5 billion acquisition of a construction chemicals and renovation specialty solutions manufacturer.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 1.95 billion acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company, which further enhanced the company's capacity to provide innovative, specialty therapies for people with disorders of the central nervous system.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 400 million acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company, which further enhanced the company's capacity to provide additional therapeutic potential for the treatment of brain diseases.
Advised a US global research-based biopharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 5 billion licensing, collaboration agreement, and equity features transaction that will provide access to a portfolio of innovative drugs in clinical trials, preclinical programs, and proven drug discovery platforms.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 295 million (with the distributions of shares) supply agreement that will provide an exclusive licensing agreement to commercialize a novel combined oral contraceptive product candidate.
Advised a leading end-to-end financial knowledge company on the antitrust aspects of its sale of its some of its divisions to a private equity investment firm creating a new entity comprised of 1,200 customers and over 300,000 end users.
Advised the private equity arm of an asset management company on the antitrust aspects of the USD 230 million sale its interest in one of the largest global providers of executive relocation services.
Advised the acting assistant attorney general, as well as other senior enforcers and prosecutors, on merger, civil non-merger, and criminal matters before the Antitrust Division.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association – Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee, Section of Antitrust Law - Chair
- Marquette University Law School, Alumni Board - Board Member and Washington, DC Representative
- District of Columbia~United States (2011)
- Virginia~United States (2008)
- Wisconsin~United States (2008)
- Marquette University (JD cum laude) (2008)
- Marquette University (BA cum laude) (2004)
- Panelist, Developments in Antitrust Enforcement and Emerging Issues, Baker McKenzie Annual Compliance Conference — Trade Sanctions, Export Controls, Anti-Bribery and Corruption, and Antitrust Update, Washington, D.C., 11 December 2019
- Co-author, "Key Issues in Antitrust and Trade Association Compliance, ABA SAL Spring Meeting, 12 February 2019
- Co-author, "Procurement Collusion Strike Force and Implications for US Companies and Beyond," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, 27 November 2019
- Moderator, "Trade, Sports & Professional Associations: Fall Townhall," ABA Section of Antitrust Law, 24 October 2019
- Speaker, "The Data Dilemma: Risks and Opportunities in the Digital Economy," Annual Corporate Compliance Conference (Antitrust, Anti-bribery, Sanctions, Export Controls, Customs and Brexit), London, 23 September 2019
- Speaker, "Antitrust and Consumer Protection Compliance in the Global Technology Sector," Tech Talk Silicon Valley, 19 September 2019