Creighton Macy has extensive experience representing clients in a wide variety of antitrust matters, including mergers and acquisitions, investigations by the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, private litigation, and counselling on issues such as antitrust compliance. Before joining the Firm, Creighton served as chief of staff and senior counsel in the Department of Justice Antitrust Division, working as a senior advisor to the acting assistant attorney general on civil and criminal antitrust enforcement and policy matters, as well as budget and personnel issues. During Creighton's time at the DOJ, the Antitrust Division undertook an unprecedented volume of high-profile civil and criminal matters.
Creighton began his career as a trial attorney in the Litigation III and Transportation, Energy, and Agriculture sections of the Antitrust Division, working on a number of notable merger and civil non-merger investigations and cases. Before rejoining the Antitrust Division as its chief of staff he was a member of another global law firm's antitrust practice, where he advised clients on a wide range of US and international antitrust issues.
In his role as chair of the American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee, Creighton regularly speaks and publishes articles relating to a variety of antitrust issues.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Creighton:
Advised the acting assistant attorney general, as well as other senior enforcers and prosecutors, on merger, civil non-merger, and criminal matters before the Antitrust Division.
Served as the Antitrust Division’s liaison to the offices of the attorney general, deputy attorney general, and associate attorney generals.
Served as chief of staff and senior counsel during a number of trial victories, by the Antitrust Division, including its successful merger challenges of two proposed insurance company acquisitions.
Advised a leading hard-disk-drive manufacturer in its acquisition of another leading manufacturer, which received significant scrutiny from the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the European Commission and MOFCOM in China.
Represented companies and individuals being investigated for criminal antitrust violations by the Antitrust Division, including in some of the Antitrust Division’s most recent international cartel investigations.
Advised a leading digital cinema firm on a transaction that combined leading digital cinema server firms, in investigations before the Department of Justice and the European Commission.
Represented a leading search engine during the FTC’s civil non-merger investigation, which the FTC closed with a unanimous vote.
Advised a leading online car auction company on its acquisition of a competitor in an investigation by the Federal Trade Commission.
Served as trial attorney in the DOJ’s investigation and challenge to the proposed combination of major beef packing companies, which was abandoned after the government moved to enjoin the transaction.
Served as trial attorney in the DOJ’s investigations of the proposed combinations of leading music companies and leading movie theater companies, both of which required divestitures to proceed.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association – Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee, Section of Antitrust Law - Chair
- Marquette University Law School, Alumni Board - Board Member and Washington, DC Representative
- District of Columbia~United States (2011)
- Virginia~United States (2008)
- Wisconsin~United States (2008)
- Marquette University (JD cum laude) (2008)
- Marquette University (BA cum laude) (2004)
- Co-author, "Key Issues in Antitrust and Trade Association Compliance, ABA SAL Spring Meeting, 12 February 2019
- Co-author, "Antitrust Compliance in the Digital Sector," TMT Sector Report, Baker McKenzie, March 2019
- Co-author, "Antitrust: Empowering Compliant Sales," Business Law Today, March 2019
- Co-author, "How to Create and Continuously Improve Your Antitrust and Anti-Corruption Compliance Program," Bloomberg Law, 12 September 2018
- Co-author, "M&A Antitrust Compliance - Issues before Signing and Pre-closing," Business Law Today, 19 April 2018