Creighton Macy is the Chair of Baker McKenzie's North America Antitrust & Competition Practice Group. Creighton is recognized as a leading global antitrust practitioner.
Creighton has extensive experience representing clients in a wide variety of antitrust matters, including mergers and acquisitions, investigations by the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, private litigation, and counselling on issues such as antitrust compliance. Before joining the Firm, Creighton served as Chief of Staff and Senior Counsel in the DOJ Antitrust Division, working as a senior advisor to the Assistant Attorney General on civil and criminal antitrust enforcement and policy matters, as well as budget and personnel issues. During Creighton's time at the DOJ, the Antitrust Division undertook an unprecedented volume of high-profile civil and criminal matters.
Creighton began his career as a Trial Attorney in the Litigation III and Transportation, Energy, and Agriculture sections of the Antitrust Division, working on a number of notable merger and civil non-merger investigations and cases. Before rejoining the Antitrust Division as its Chief of Staff, he was a member of another global law firm's antitrust practice, where he advised clients on a wide range of US and international antitrust issues.
Creighton is consistently recognized globally for his market-leading antitrust practice with respect to high-stakes transactions, investigations, and compliance and counseling work. For example, clients have noted that Creighton “shines above the rest’ due to his first-rate cartel and merger control-related practice.’” He also regularly speaks and publishes articles relating to a variety of antitrust issues, and has been recognized many times for his contributions and thought-leadership on these issues.
Creighton is currently Co-Chair of the American Bar Association Antitrust Law Section’s Young Lawyers Task Force. In previous roles, he served as Reporter of the Presidential Transition Task Force, as well as Chair of the Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee. He is highly involved in mentoring programs, including with the Antitrust Law Section, as well as Marquette University Law School, where he previously served as the DC Representative of the Alumni Board.
Creighton graduated from Marquette University, where he was an NCAA Division I Academic All-American tennis player. During his time at Marquette, he was awarded the Athletic Department’s Cura Personalis award by his peers, as well as several leadership awards. More recently, Creighton was named the Athletic Department’s Young Alumnus of the Year Award.
Representative Legal Matters
Since joining the Firm, Creighton:
Advised a global research and development-driven pharmaceutical company on the sale of a prescription drug indicated for the emergency treatment of epileptic children with prolonged acute convulsive seizures to a European leader in pharmaceutical products.
Represented a global leader in the digital product market in connection with an acquisition of an online course creation and sales platform and one of the biggest online education companies in the United States.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of its collaboration agreement with a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing medicines for patients with genetically defined cancers.
Advised a global home and personal care company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 500 million acquisition of a leading prestige skin-care brand.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a nearly USD 400 million acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company focused on oncolytic immunotherapy treatments for a range of cancers.
Advised a global shipping company before US DOJ in a cartel investigation that closed without any action.
Advised a leading specialty chemicals and industrial adhesives manufacturer on the antitrust aspects of a USD 2.5 billion acquisition of a construction chemicals and renovation specialty solutions manufacturer.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 1.95 billion acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company, which further enhanced the company's capacity to provide innovative, specialty therapies for people with disorders of the central nervous system.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 400 million acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company, which further enhanced the company's capacity to provide additional therapeutic potential for the treatment of brain diseases.
Advised a US global research-based biopharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 5 billion licensing, collaboration agreement, and equity features transaction that will provide access to a portfolio of innovative drugs in clinical trials, preclinical programs, and proven drug discovery platforms.
Awards and Representative Professional Honors:
- The 40 Under 40, recognizing "The Best of the Future of the Legal Profession," Bloomberg Law (2022)
- Thought Leader for Competition, Who's Who Legal (2022)
- Global Leader for Competition, Who's Who Legal (2021, 2022)
- Marquette University, Athletic Department Young Alumnus Award (2022)
- Rising Star for Antitrust Litigation, Super Lawyers (2014-2016, 2018-2022)
- Top 40 Under 40 Competition Lawyer, Global Competition Review (2020)
- Future Leader for Competition, Who's Who Legal (2016-2020)
- Winner of Best Business Article, Antitrust Writing Awards (2020)
- Winner of Best Academic Article, Antitrust Writing Awards (2019)
- Band 2 in Competition/Antitrust, Chambers Global 2022
- Ranked 5th in Global Elite Rankings, GCR 100 (2022)
- Ranked 1st in Cartels, GCR 100 (2022)
- Recommended for Antitrust - Washington, D.C., GCR 100 (2022)
- Tier 5 in Antitrust: Merger Control, Legal 500 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association – Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee, Section of Antitrust Law - Chair
- Marquette University Law School, Alumni Board - Board Member and Washington, DC Representative
- District of Columbia~United States (2011)
- Virginia~United States (2008)
- Wisconsin~United States (2008)
- Marquette University (JD, cum laude) (2008)
- Marquette University (BA, cum laude) (2004)
Publications & Presentations
- Co-Author, "United States: 2022 HSR Notification Thresholds In Force, " Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 24 February 2022
- Co-Author, "United States: Overhaul of Merger Guidelines Under Consideration and Public Comments Solicited," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 07 February 2022
- Panelist, "Key Global Trends and Considerations in Antitrust and the Technology Sector," 2021 Tech Talk Silicon Valley / Global TMT Industry Group / Technology Deals, Integration and Antitrust - What You Need To Know, 21 September 2021
- Co-author, "United States: President Biden issues Executive Order to promote Vigorous Antitrust Enforcement in Key Markets," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 12 July 2021
- Co-author, "Global Competition Law and Labor - The Battle Continues in the Market for Talent," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, 27 April 2021
- Panelist, "X International Conference for Multinationals," Trench Rossi Watanabe, 25 August 2020