Creighton Macy is the Chair of the Firm's North America Antitrust & Competition Practice Group. Creighton has extensive experience representing clients in a wide variety of antitrust matters, including mergers and acquisitions, investigations by the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission, private litigation, and counselling on issues such as antitrust compliance. Before joining the Firm, Creighton served as chief of staff and senior counsel in the Department of Justice Antitrust Division, working as a senior advisor to the acting assistant attorney general on civil and criminal antitrust enforcement and policy matters, as well as budget and personnel issues. During Creighton's time at the DOJ, the Antitrust Division undertook an unprecedented volume of high-profile civil and criminal matters.
Creighton began his career as a trial attorney in the Litigation III and Transportation, Energy, and Agriculture sections of the Antitrust Division, working on a number of notable merger and civil non-merger investigations and cases. Before rejoining the Antitrust Division as its chief of staff he was a member of another global law firm's antitrust practice, where he advised clients on a wide range of US and international antitrust issues.
In his role as chair of the American Bar Association’s Section of Antitrust Law Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee, Creighton regularly speaks and publishes articles relating to a variety of antitrust issues.
Representative Legal Matters
Since joining the Firm, Creighton:
Represented a global digital product company in connection with an acquisition of one of the biggest online education companies in the United States.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of its collaboration agreement with a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing medicines for patients with genetically defined cancers.
Advised a global home and personal care company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 500 million acquisition of a leading prestige skin-care brand.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a nearly USD 400 million acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company focused on oncolytic immunotherapy treatments for a range of cancers.
Advised a global shipping company before US DOJ in a cartel investigation that closed without any action.
Advised a leading specialty chemicals and industrial adhesives manufacturer on the antitrust aspects of a USD 2.5 billion acquisition of a construction chemicals and renovation specialty solutions manufacturer.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 1.95 billion acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company, which further enhanced the company's capacity to provide innovative, specialty therapies for people with disorders of the central nervous system.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 400 million acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company, which further enhanced the company's capacity to provide additional therapeutic potential for the treatment of brain diseases.
Advised a US global research-based biopharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 5 billion licensing, collaboration agreement, and equity features transaction that will provide access to a portfolio of innovative drugs in clinical trials, preclinical programs, and proven drug discovery platforms.
Advised a global pharmaceutical company on the antitrust aspects of a USD 295 million--with the distributions of shares--supply agreement that will provide an exclusive licensing agreement to commercialize a novel combined oral contraceptive product candidate.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association – Trade, Sports, and Professional Associations Committee, Section of Antitrust Law - Chair
- Marquette University Law School, Alumni Board - Board Member and Washington, DC Representative
- District of Columbia~United States (2011)
- Virginia~United States (2008)
- Wisconsin~United States (2008)
- Marquette University (JD cum laude) (2008)
- Marquette University (BA cum laude) (2004)
- Panelist, 14th Annual Conference on Trends and Developments in Global Competition Law in Brussels (Zoom), Baker McKenzie, 15 May 2020
- Co-speaker, "COVID-19 and Its Impact on Antitrust in the TMT Sector," Baker McKenzie TMT Talk Podcasts, 5 May 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 and Antitrust: What You Need to Know about How U.S. Federal and State Regulators Are Responding," Baker McKenzie Insight, 26 March 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 and Antitrust Law Global Update," Baker McKenzie Insight, 25 March 2020
- Co-author, "COVID-19 AND ANTITRUST LAW: Avoiding Legal Risks in a Time of Uncertainty," Baker McKenzie Insight, 17 March 2020