Stephanie MacIntosh is a member of the Employment & Compensation Law Practice Group. She focuses on Canadian immigration law, regulatory compliance and global mobility and workforce management, and manages the Toronto office’s Global Immigration & Mobility Practice. Stephanie co-chairs Toronto's Student Committee and was former co-chair of Toronto's Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. MacIntosh completed articles at a leading boutique immigration law firm, worked in refugee assistance in Europe and the Middle East, and was an editor and national student coordinator for the Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers.
Stephanie advises on global mobility and compliance issues, working with multinational companies to establish employer compliance mechanisms and internal mobility policies. She assists clients from information technology, financial services, entertainment, manufacturing, healthcare, and retail industries on their immigration and employer compliance issues. Stephanie regularly advises corporate counsel and HR personnel on eligibility requirements and mobility strategies to secure appropriate employment authorization for foreign professionals coming to Canada. She also coordinates with global immigration colleagues to facilitate the transfer of expatriates to jurisdictions outside Canada.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised multinational companies on strategies to ensure ability to transfer foreign workers into Canada to execute key projects.
- Guided global companies during employer compliance audits.
- Oversaw analysis of immigration due diligence and related risk factors in the context of major transactions.
- Advised companies on proactive compliance policies and record keeping mechanisms based on changing immigration legislation.
- Obtained resolution of problem issues, including overcoming inadmissibility and visa/work permit refusals.
- Provided advice and assistance in Canadian citizenship matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- International Bar Association
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Canadian Immigration Lawyers Association
- Ontario~Canada (2014)
- University of Ottawa (J.D.) (2013)
- McGill University, Montreal (BSc) (2009)
Contributor, Canadian Labour and Employment Law Blog
Co-author, Doing Business in Canada, 2023
Co-author, Canada Chapter, The Global Employer: Focus on Global Immigration & Mobility, 2022 edition
Co-presenter, North America: Are Your Employees Considering Year-End Travel? Here's What Your Company and They Should Know, 18 November 2020
Co-presenter, The Canadian Employers' Reopening Playbook, 29 May 2020
Co-presenter, The Next Normal in Canada, Mexico and US, 27 May 2020
Co-presenter, COVID-19 What Canadian Employers Need to Know, 26 March 2020