Michael Macapagal is a partner in Quisumbing Torres' Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He is a member of the Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Industry Group, the Compliance and Competition focus groups. He has 11 years of legal practice involving arbitration, construction, healthcare disputes, compliance, civil and criminal litigation, labor law, intellectual property law, public private partnerships, project finance and joint venture matters. He received the sixth highest score in the 2008 Philippine bar examinations. He has been recently cited as a Next Generation Partner in Dispute Resolution as well as Real Estate and Construction by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific for 2020. He was also recently appointed Deputy Secretary General for Case Administration of the Philippine International Center for Conflict Resolution (PICCR).
He is also a professorial lecturer at the Manuel L. Quezon University, where he teaches civil and commercial law courses. He is also a regular lecturer on international arbitration and competition law at the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) sessions hosted the University of the Philippines Law Center. He has also acted as speaker and moderator at various arbitration-related and construction-related events.
Previously, he was an associate counsel at the Singapore International Arbitration Centre and an associate solicitor at the Office of the Solicitor General. As an associate solicitor, he was part of teams that assisted government agencies in right-of-way acquisitions for expressways and other infrastructure projects. He was also part of teams that assisted in arbitrations involving the Philippine Government.
Michael focuses on commercial arbitration, construction disputes, competition law enforcement, public-private partnerships and project finance deals with the government. He has assisted and advised domestic and multinational clients across all sectors, such as energy, oil and gas and healthcare, on dispute resolution-related issues, such as the commencement of arbitration and drafting of arbitration/dispute resolution clauses.
In addition, Michael has extensive experience in civil, commercial, criminal and administrative litigation, and has appeared and argued before various Philippine trial and appellate courts. He represented the government in money laundering cases against notable Philippine personalities and in a highly-publicized environmental case involving large retail companies. He also acted for multinational clients in high-value contractual breach and tort actions. He has likewise assisted clients in disputes before regulatory agencies.
Representative Legal Matters
Assist and represent a government agency in injunction proceedings and a potential arbitration its contractor for its new flagship museum in Manila.
Provide legal services in relation to assisting a software and technology services company in defending against a petition for interim measures of protection for preservation of evidence in relation to Arbitration.
Defend a Spanish consumer goods and retail company operating in the fashion and fragrance sectors in a civil case for enforcement of contract, damages for illegal termination of the contract, with application for preliminary injunction.
Assist a subsidiary of a global drinks manufacturer in the Philippines on matters involving a potential improper payments made by the client's agents/representatives to Philippine government agencies and officials.
Advise and represent a Canadian trust in connection with its dispute/claims against a resort in Iloilo, Philippines.
Represent a multinational distributor of food and health supplements in a criminal case against a former officer involving misappropriated company assets.
Assist and advise a major downstream oil and gas company in a potential arbitration against two of its contractors, in relation to the construction of its new fuel import facility in the southern part of the Philippines.
- Assist a Philippine pharmaceutical company on matters relating to disputes arising from a Share Swap Agreement (SSA) between two Philippine pharmaceutical companies and their respective parent companies. The value of the SSA was more than PhP 500 million.
Defend a multinational and engineering company in a claim for ejectment and helped the client prosecute an action for specific performance and damages in connection with the title and possession to real properties it was using in one of Manila's top business districts.
Represent an American multinational courier delivery services company in a Supreme Court case that can potentially prevent the company from operating in the Philippines.
- Next Generation Partner in Dispute & Resolution, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020
- Next Generation Partner in Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020
- Next Generation Lawyer in Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Philippine International Center for Conflict Resolution, Inc. - Member, Deputy Secretary General for Case Administration
- Young Singapore International Arbitration Centre Group (YSIAC) - Member
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA) - Member, Local Steering Committee
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member (MCIArb)
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Member
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2017)
- Philippines (2009)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.) (2014)
- University of the Philippines, College of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2008)
- Ateneo de Manila University (B.S. Management Engineering) (2003)