Michael Macapagal is a senior associate in Quisumbing Torres' Dispute Resolution Practice Group and is a member of the Compliance and Competition focus groups. He has nine years of legal practice involving arbitration, construction, healthcare disputes, compliance, civil and criminal litigation, labor law, intellectual property law, public private partnerships, project finance and joint venture matters. He received the sixth highest score in the 2008 Philippine bar examinations.
He is also a professorial lecturer at the Manuel L. Quezon University, where he teaches civil and commercial law courses. He is also a regular lecturer on international arbitration and competition law at the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) sessions hosted the University of the Philippines Law Center. He has also acted as speaker and moderator at various arbitration-related and construction-related events.
Previously, he was an associate counsel at the Singapore International Arbitration Centre and an associate solicitor at the Office of the Solicitor General. As an associate solicitor, he was part of teams that assisted in arbitrations involving the Philippine Government.
Michael focuses on commercial arbitration, construction disputes, competition law enforcement, public-private partnerships and project finance deals with the government. He has assisted and advised domestic and multinational clients across all sectors, such as energy, oil and gas and healthcare, on dispute resolution-related issues, such as the commencement of arbitration and drafting of arbitration / dispute resolution clauses.
In addition, Michael has extensive experience in civil, commercial, criminal and administrative litigation, and has appeared and argued before various Philippine trial and appellate courts. He represented the government in money laundering cases against notable Philippine personalities and in a highly-publicized environmental case involving large retail companies. He also acted for multinational clients in high-value contractual breach and tort actions. He has likewise assisted clients in disputes before regulatory agencies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member (MCIArb)
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Member
- Philippine Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- Young Singapore International Arbitration Centre Group (YSIAC) - Member
- Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA) - Member, Local Steering Committee
- International Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2017)
- Philippines (2009)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.) (2014)
- University of the Philippines, College of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2008)
- Ateneo de Manila University (B.S. Management Engineering) (2003)