Tess Lumsdaine is a partner of Baker McKenzie's Employment & Compensation Practice based in Hong Kong. She advises clients on the full spectrum of employment and regulatory compliance issues, as well as assisting clients with employment-related disputes and workplace investigations.
Tess was recognised by Legal 500 in its 2021 and 2020 Asia Pacific rankings as a Rising Star in Hong Kong Labour and Employment.
Tess acts for clients in all aspects of employment law, including contentious matters such as contractual disputes, restraint litigation, safety related prosecutions, as well as civil claims and claims relating to termination, information theft, discrimination and harassment. She has extensive experience advising on executive employment, remuneration and regulatory issues in the context of hiring, mobility and exits. She also has broad credentials in managing multijurisdictional compliance and restructuring projects and complex workplace investigations. Tess regularly supports clients in tech, banking and financial services, consumer goods and retail and the pharmaceutical sector.
Representative Legal Matters
Matters handled prior to joining Baker McKenzie:
- Advising a technology company on the post-acquisition employee integration and reduction in force across 13 jurisdictions in Asia-Pacific
- Advising a global investment bank in relation to a restructuring impacting 11 jurisdictions in including the exit from several markets
- Acting for clients in enforcing covenants including for a global bank in response to a team move, and for an investment firm to recover payments made to employees who moved to a competitor
- Investigating complaints of harassment including for a Fintech company where the conduct was alleged to have impacted the complainant's regulatory functions
- Acting for a logistics company in a safety prosecution arising out of a workplace fatality and for an engineering company in respect of civil claims arising from a significant workplace accident
- Rising Star (Labour and Employment, Hong Kong) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2021)
- Hong Kong (2019)
- New South Wales~Australia (2009)
- University of Technology Sydney (LL.B. / B.A.) (2008)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.