Carlos Larios Duarte
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C.
Carlos is a partner at Baker McKenzie, with more than 15 years of experience and he is a member of the North America Transactional Practice Group. Carlos is based in Tijuana but has also worked in the Chicago, Guadalajara and Monterrey offices in the Firm. Carlos has advised various Fortune 500 Companies in the start-up, relocation, and consolidation of operations in Mexico and has been key in assisting different industries and businesses.
Carlos has experience in advising on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate restructuring, corporate governance, compliance, risk management, foreign investment, shelter and maquiladora operations, real estate project finance, loan restructuring and guaranties, distribution and agency agreements and general commercial agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated in a multijurisdictional carve-out process of a global medical business, coordinating different EMEA jurisdictions.
- Advised companies in the restructuring of loans / debt and collateral documentation with US financial institutions, mainly for the development and construction projects in Mexico.
- Participated in loan securitization projects for hotel groups with operations in Mexico, including the reorganization of their Mexican subsidiaries.
- Advised clients in the implementation of the legal structures (including corporate and real estate restructuring), to take advantage of preferential tax treatment in Mexico.
- Advised clients in the structuring as well as the termination of distribution agreements in Mexico and other countries within Latin America.
- Advised pharmaceutical companies on acquiring assets and product lines, including the negotiation with the federal health authorities in Mexico.
- Advised automotive group in a combined acquisition of assets and shares in a complex maquiladora structure.
- Advised in the corporate restructuring and spin-off of a sports manufacturing group with operations in Mexico as a pre-acquisition planning for a major M&A transaction of the group.
- Advised a multinational joint venture group in the restructuring of its assets and losses to retain a business opportunity providing value to the ultimate beneficiaries of the joint venture business.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- US-Mexico Bar Association
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- US Mexico Chamber of Commerce
- SD Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Economic Development Corporation - EDC.
Carlos has assisted on various pro-bono projects, including projects of the following non-profit organizations:
- Fundación Internacional de la Comunidad, A.C. (focused on raising the quality of life in the communities of Baja California).
- Pasitos Preescolar Especial, A.C. (an organization supporting autistic children helping them integrate into society).
- Hope Sports (facilitates professional athletes building homes for those desperately in need, with the goal of giving individuals purpose beyond sport, and uniting teams through serving others).
- Mexico (2005)
- University of San Diego School of Law (LLM, Master of Laws in Comparative Law, Concentration on Business and Corporate Law) (2015)
- Universidad Panamericana (JD) (2005)
- "Challenges of the Legal Sector,” Legal Industry Review, 2022
- “Simplified Dissolution and Liquidation Process,” IDC-Expansion. Law Magazine, 2018
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.