Alexandre Lamy joined Baker McKenzie in 2009 and currently works in the Firm's International Trade Practice Group. He assists clients with sanctions and export controls (Export Administration Regulations (EAR); International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)) and he advises clients on corporate compliance matters. Since August 2011, Alex has served on the steering group for the ABA Section of International Law’s Export Controls & Economic Sanctions Committee and is currently a Vice Chair of the Committee. He has organized several events regarding recent developments in US trade sanctions and export controls for the Committee.
Alex advises clients on compliance with US export controls, trade and economic sanctions, and antiboycott controls. He counsels on and prepares filings to submit to the US Government’s Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) with respect to the acquisition of US enterprises by non-US interests. Moreover, he advises US and non-US companies in the context of licensing, enforcement actions, internal investigations, compliance audits, mergers and acquisitions and other cross-border transactions, and the design, implementation, and administration of compliance programs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise companies on various compliance issues related to sanctions programs administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including US sanctions targeting Iran, Cuba, Russia, the Sectoral Sanctions Identifications List, and Specially Designated Nationals (SDNs).
- Counsel companies on compliance with the Iran Sanctions Act (ISA); the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010 (CISADA); Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012 (ITRA); Executive Order 13608 (foreign sanctions evaders); Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act (IFCPA); and Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Counsel companies on the application of financial sanctions pursuant to CISADA, National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 (NDAA), ITRA, and IFCPA.
- Advise companies on the implications of US sanctions and export controls related measures in non-US acquisitions.
- Assist companies regarding responses to various US state divestment measures related to Iran, Sudan, and Cuba.
- Provide compliance advice to companies with respect to US export controls and trade sanctions, including drafting and submitting license applications and classification requests to OFAC and the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS).
- Advise clients on preparing and drafting disclosures to OFAC, BIS, and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
- Conduct gap assessments of compliance programs with respect to US sanctions and export controls.
- Counsel clients on submissions to the US Government’s CFIUS with respect to the acquisition of US enterprises by non-US interests.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Virginia State Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2010)
- Virginia~United States (2009)
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D.) (2009)
- Claremont McKenna College (B.A. magna cum laude) (2000)