Alexandre Lamy joined Baker McKenzie in 2009 and currently works in the Firm's International Trade Practice Group. He assists clients with sanctions and export controls (Export Administration Regulations (EAR); International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)) and he advises clients on corporate compliance matters. Alex contributes regularly to Baker McKenzie's Sanctions & Export Controls Update blog.
Since August 2021, Alex has been the co-chair of the ABA Section of International Law’s Export Controls & Economic Sanctions Committee. Prior to that appointment, he served on the steering group and as a Vice Chair of the Committee, starting back in August 2011. Alex has organized multiple events regarding recent developments in US trade sanctions and export controls for the Committee.
Alex was recognized in Who's Who Legal 2020 Edition of its Global Guide to Trade & Customs Lawyers as a "leading individual" in North America on International Sanctions and the publication reported that he "attracts applause for delivering 'a practical service which understands the needs of the business'. His 'ready availability to clients, thorough research and strong presentation skills' are further acclaimed." He was also recognized in the 2019 Edition of the same publication as being "much sought after by clients who praise his 'advice of the highest quality' and add, 'He is technically very good on OFAC sanctions issues and military/dual use export controls.'" Alex has been awarded the Lexology Client Choice Award 2021 for the "Trade & Customs" category and named by Financier Worldwide in “POWER PLAYERS: International Trade & Sanctions 2021 - Distinguished Advisers."
Representative Legal Matters
Advise companies on various compliance issues related to sanctions programs administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including US sanctions targeting Iran, Cuba, North Korea, Russia/Crimea, Syria, Venezuela, the Sectoral Sanctions Identifications List, and Specially Designated Nationals (SDNs).
Counsel companies on compliance with US secondary sanctions including those targeting Iran, North Korea, Russia/Crimea, and Syria.
Negotiated with OFAC to have US sanctions lifted from Nynas AB (2020).
Negotiated with OFAC and the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) to reach a global enforcement settlement involving apparent violations of US sanctions targeting Iran by US and UAE subsidiaries of a European company (2021).
Negotiated with BIS to reach an enforcement settlement involving apparent violations of US export controls by the US subsidiary of a European company (2020).
Negotiated with OFAC to reach an enforcement settlement involving apparent violations of US sanctions targeting Iran by a Turkish subsidiary of a US-based company, which involved the first designation of a Foreign Sanctions Evader as part of the enforcement resolution (2019).
Advise companies on compliance with US export controls under the ITAR and EAR.
Counsel companies on the implications of US sanctions and export controls related measures in non-US acquisitions.
Assist companies regarding responses to various US state divestment measures related to Iran, Sudan, and Cuba.
Provide compliance advice to companies with respect to US export controls and trade sanctions, including drafting and submitting license applications and classification requests to OFAC, BIS, and the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
Advise clients on preparing and drafting disclosures to OFAC, BIS, and DDTC.
Conduct gap assessments of compliance programs with respect to US sanctions and export controls.
Counsel clients on submissions to the US Government's CFIUS with respect to the acquisition of US enterprises by non-US interests, including changes resulting from the Foreign Investment Risk Review Modernization Act (aka FIRRMA).
- Recognized by Financier Worldwide in, “POWER PLAYERS: International Trade & Sanctions 2021 - Distinguished Advisers"
- Lexology Client Choice Award 2021 for the "Trade & Customs" category
- Recognized in Who's Who Legal's Global Guide to Trade & Customs Lawyers (2019-2021)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Virginia State Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2010)
- Virginia~United States (2009)
- University of Virginia School of Law (JD) (2009)
- Claremont McKenna College (BA, magna cum laude) (2000)
- Author, "OFAC Should Issue SDN Payment Licenses that Don't Expire," Law360, 21 April 2021
- Author, "A New Approach To OFAC's Rejected-Transactions Reporting," Law360, 21 May 2020
- Co-author, "Anatomy of an export control investigation," in The Export Compliance Manager's Handbook (WorldECR), 2d ed., 2020
- Co-author, "How BIS Will Review Emerging Technology Export Controls," Law360, 19 December 2018
- Co-author, "Policy Is Changing For Technology Transfers," Law360, 20 June 2018
- Co-author, "Trade and Financial Sanctions and Export Controls," in A Practitioner's Guide to The Law and Regulation of Financial Crime (2d ed.), 2018