Azamat Kuatbekov is a managing partner in Baker McKenzie's Almaty office. He has been recommended by legal directories such as Chambers Global and Legal 500 for his litigation and transaction work. Mr. Kuatbekov has solid experience in the natural resources sector, advising clients on dispute resolution, acquisitions and financing. Before joining the Firm, he had worked with the legal department of the national oil company Kazakoil. He has authored numerous articles on oil and gas, corporate law, bankruptcy and litigation in Kazakhstan and has acted for many of the country's major power companies.
Mr. Kuatbekov mainly advises large multinational clients in the natural resources sector. He has represented several Kazakhstani subsidiaries of a major US power company in civil and administrative proceedings against Kazakhstani antimonopoly authorities. He has also acted for investors in connection with bankruptcy acquisitions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a major Chinese energy and chemicals company engaged in oil and gas exploration and production in connection with the due diligence and potential acquisition of an interest in a major offshore PSA.
- Advising a major Chinese energy and chemicals company engaged in oil and gas exploration and production in connection with the due diligence and indirect acquisition of a controlling stake in holding entities owning a number of operating oil and gas subsidiaries in Kazakhstan.
- Representing LUKOIL, a major Russian oil company, in a dispute under the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce Rules with respect to the company’s joint venture activities in Kazakhstan.
- Advising subsidiaries of power company AES on numerous tax and anti-monopoly disputes.
- Representing a consortium of major international construction companies in a dispute under ICC rules regarding a construction project in Kazakhstan. This is one of the largest construction disputes in the country.
- Advising Yukon Energy Holding S.A. in connection with the acquisition of Lancaster Petroleum JSC, the sole operator of the Kokzhide, Kumsai, and Mortuk oil fields in Kazakhstan's Aktobe region.
- Advising an international environment management enterprise in connection with the acquisition of a 50 percent interest in the exploration project of an oil field in Kazakhstan.
- Advising a leading international steel producer in connection with the potential closure of 15 coal mines, including on issues pertaining to mass redundancies, amendments to collective bargaining agreements and negotiations with the trade unions, real estate and corporate reorganization issues.
- Advising a subsidiary of a leading international steel producer in connection with a dispute related to the ownership of assets acquired in the framework of one of the largest privatization agreements in Kazakhstan.
- Recommended in General Business Law and Energy & Natural Resources, Chambers Global 2012, 2013
- Leading individual, Legal 500 EMEA 2013
- Highly recommended for Dispute Resolution, PLC Which lawyer? 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kazakhstan Petroleum Law Association
- Kazakstan~Kazakhstan (1996)
- Indiana University (M.C.L.) (1997)
- Karaganda State University (Law Degree, Honors) (1996)
Mr. Kuatbekov has written numerous articles on oil and gas, corporate law, bankruptcy and litigation in Kazakhstan.
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein