Dr. Florian Kotman is a member of the Firm's Antitrust & Competition Practice Group in Dusseldorf. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked in Dusseldorf and Tokyo in an M&A team of a boutique law firm that focuses on advising on cross-border transactions between Germany and Japan.
During his legal clerkship, Florian worked, amongst others, in the legal department of a major Japanese retail company and a state-owned economic development agency in Tokyo.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Florian handled, amongst others, the following notable transactions:
- Advising JX Nippon Mining & Metals Corporation on its acquisition of H.C. Starck Tantalum and Niobium GmbH from the private equity investors Advent International and The Carlyle Group.
- Advising JX Nippon Minings & Metals Corporation on the subscription of non-voting class shares by the Japan Bank for International Cooperation in JX Metals Deutschland GmbH, a wholly owned company of JX Nippon Mining & Metals Corporation.
- Advising Kyocera, a Japanese multinational ceramics and electronics manufacturer, on its acquisition of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH from the private equity investors Advent International and The Carlyle Group.
- Advising Kyocera on its acquisition of the advanced ceramics business operations of Friatec.
- Advising Sekisui Plastics on its acquisition of a majority stake in Proseat GmbH & Co. KG and several other proseat companies from Recticel NV/SA.
- Advising Kozo Keikaku Engineering on its participation in NavVis GmbH (series C funding round).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dusseldorf Bar Association - Member
- Deutsch-Japanische Juristenvereinigung e.V. (DJJV) - Member
- Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training (JILPT), International Labour Information Project - Member
- Germany (2017)
- University of Marburg (Dr. jur.) (2018)
- Meiji University (LL.M.) (2017)
- Higher Regional Court of Dusseldorf (Second State Exam) (2014)
- Friedrich-Schiller University of Jena (First State Exam) (2011)
Author, "The employer's duty to care for safety under Japanese law," ("Die Pflicht des Arbeitgebers zur Sicherheitsfürsorge nach japanischem Recht"), 2018
Author, "Provisions on disadvantageous treatment of irregularly employed persons in German law - with a focus on part-time employees," (ドイツ法における非正規労働者の不利益取扱い禁止規制について－パートタイム労働者を中心に), Labor Research Center Report (労働問題リサーチセンター), June 2017
Author, "On the approval process of medical devices in Japan," ("Medizintechnik: im Zulassungsdschungel"), Japan Markt, July / August 2013
Speaker, "On equal treatment of irregularly employed persons in Germany and the principle of equal treatment," (ドイツにおける非正規の均等待遇と一般的平等取扱い原則について), Japan Institute for Labour Policy and Training, 2016
Speaker, "Germany: Market Entry for Medical Devices," (ドイツ医療機器市場参入に関する認証手続), Advanced Science, Technology & Management Research Institute of Kyoto, 2014