Yuki's practice focuses on global data protection/privacy, cybersecurity, telecommunications regulations, IP and technology licensing and transactions, online content-related business, media and entertainment law, e-commerce, online advertising and health tech. She regularly works on matters in the technology, media and telecommunications, healthcare and life sciences and manufacturing industries.
Yuki also practices intellectual property law with a particular focus on copyright, trademark and unfair competition law.
Representative Legal Matters
Privacy and Technology:
- Advised multinational companies in various industries (including automotive, pharmaceutical, consumer goods and IT) on global privacy compliance programs.
- Drafted and reviewed data processing agreements, privacy notices, cookie policies and other internal privacy documents (including data breach incident response protocols and data subject rights management policies).
- Advised many global companies on cybersecurity incident response (including assistance filing data breach notifications with the authorities).
- Advised domestic and overseas global automotive companies on legal issues related to their telematics services.
- Assisted global online game developers with creating screen flows, consent mechanisms and age verification systems.
- Advised a Japanese generative AI music production company on a music licensing agreement and an online subscription agreement.
- Advised a global social networking service company on the legality of scraping for AI training.
- Advised many companies in various industries (including healthcare, IT and consumer goods) on trademark, copyright and unfair competition prevention law.
- Conducted IP due diligence for M&A transactions targeting Japanese and foreign companies.
- Represented a US-based company in patent litigation against a Japanese company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2014)
- University of California, Berkeley (Master of Law, Law and Technology certificate) (2022)
- The University of Tokyo School of Law (J.D.) (2013)
- Keio University (LL.B.) (2011)
- Los Angeles
Publications and Articles
- Co-author, "New Cookies Regulations in Japan took effect in June 2023", The Legal Industry Reviews Japan, July 2023
- Co-author, "Personally referable information' under the APPI – is this personal data?", DataGuidance, December 2022