Helen Joyce is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Melbourne. She joined the Firm in 2010 having spent the prior decade practising as a solicitor in London. Helen is recognised in the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers Australia for Competition Law and Litigation.
Helen specialises in regulatory investigations and disputes, including in particular, proceedings under the Competition and Consumer Act, the Australian Consumer Law, the Corporations Act and the National Electricity legislation. She regularly acts in significant civil penalty enforcement and white collar criminal proceedings commenced by the ACCC, AER, ASIC or IBAC. Her clients include regulators, major corporations and high net worth individuals.
Helen also regularly provides strategic advice on issues arising under the CCA and the ACL such as anti-competitive conduct, misleading and deceptive conduct, product liability and consumer guarantees.
In addition to her regulatory work, Helen has significant experience in the litigation aspects of schemes of arrangement, both in the Victorian Supreme Court and the Federal Court and she is regularly engaged by commercial clients in matters involving complex contractual disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for regulators and commercial clients in numerous civil penalty enforcement proceedings in the Federal Court relating to allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct under the Australian Consumer Law.
- Acted for individuals in relation to confidential cartel investigations commenced by the ACCC.
- Acted for a global corporation in relation to Federal Court proceedings alleging breaches of a compulsory recall notice under the Australian Consumer Law.
- Acted for a defendant in Federal Court proceedings brought by ASIC and related criminal proceedings in relation to the largest unregistered managed investment scheme in Australia.
- Acted for a defendant in relation to an IBAC Investigation and the successful defence of associated white collar fraud criminal proceedings.
- Acted for a defendant in relation to criminal proceedings alleging insider trading.
- Acted for various bidders and targets in relation to mergers and acquisitions by scheme of arrangement including obtaining court and ASIC scheme of arrangement approvals required under the Corporations Act.
- Acted for a global logistics company in defence of Supreme Court proceedings for breach of contract arising from a complex bespoke IT development and implementation.
- Victoria~Australia (2010)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2001)
- New Zealand (1996)
- University of Auckland (LL.B., Honors)
- University of Auckland (B.A.)