Tom Jenkins is a special counsel in Baker McKenzie’s Antitrust and Competition practice in Hong Kong and China. He advises clients across a range of transactional, advisory and contentious competition matters and regularly speaks at leading antitrust events in the region. Before joining the Hong Kong office in 2015, Tom spent nearly five years with Baker McKenzie’s European & Competition Law Practice where he advised a range of clients on EU competition law matters.
Tom’s practice covers a broad range of Asia Pacific and EU competition law issues including merger control, competition investigations, distribution arrangements, abuse of dominance, joint ventures, issues relating to intellectual property and competition law and competition compliance. He advises clients in a broad range of sectors such as the insurance/financial services, life sciences, energy/mining, fast moving consumer goods, media, logistics & IT.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting clients in a wide variety of sectors to design and implement compliance programs, dawn raid protocols, compliance training, audits and similar initiatives in the EU, Hong Kong and China. Recent compliance clients include well-known players in the insurance, financial services, luxury goods, automotive, sport, life sciences and real estate sectors.
- Advising FedEx on the Chinese merger clearance aspects of its USD 4.8 billion acquisition of TNT.
- Advising on the China-related merger control aspects of a JV in the auto parts sector (notified via the simplified procedure).
- Advising Abbott Laboratories on its USD 5.8 billion acquisition of Alere Inc. before the European Commission to secure conditional Phase I clearance in the face of an active complainant.
- Advised a leading manufacturer of electrical and electronic products in the settlement of the European Commission's cartel investigation on the car parts sector (Alternators and Starters).
- Acting as adviser to several major global consumer goods suppliers on EU distribution issues.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2010)
- Oxford University (Bachelor of Civil Law) (2006)
- London School of Economics (LLB First class honors) (2005)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.