Divina Ilas-Panganiban is a partner in Quisumbing Torres’ Intellectual Property, Data and Technology Practice Group and co-heads the Technology, Media & Telecommunications Industry Group. She currently serves as the Vice-President and Director of the Philippine Chapter of the Licensing Executives Society International, the Chairperson of the Committee on Intellectual Property Rights, The American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines, and the Chairperson of the Committee on Intellectual Property Rights of the European Chamber of Commerce.
Divina heads the Subcommittee for East Asia and the Pacific of the Unreal Campaign of the International Trademarks Association (INTA) and is a Certified Information Privacy Manager by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Representative Legal Matters
Manage the worldwide trademark portfolio of a Philippines-based multinational company and the largest Filipino fast-food corporation. Assist in its brand management, IP protection and enforcement, and IP commercialization activities across the globe.
Represent a number of clients before the Bureau of Legal Affairs (BLA) of the IPO in opposition cases against the registration of marks, logo or domain name that are confusingly similar to client’s registered and well-known marks, logo or domain name. Successfully convinced the BLA to sustain the oppositions, and refused the registration of the third-party marks, logo or domain name on behalf of clients such as a global food and beverage chain, a global FMCG, one of the world’ s premier biopharmaceutical companies, an international health and beauty retailer as well as a world-renowned Swiss watchmaker.
Assist the Singapore subsidiary of a global social media and technology company in ensuring full compliance with Philippine data privacy requirements of its various products and service offerings. Review and advise on the consent language and privacy notices prior to roll-out of new products or product updates. Analyze security incidents and advise on the application of personal data breach notification obligations under Philippine regulations which should be met within 72 hours from discovery of the breach.
Represent an Asian ridesharing company that offers food delivery and digital payments services via mobile app before the National Privacy Commission in complaints filed for alleged violations of the Philippine Data Privacy Act of 2012.
Assist and advise client, the Franchisor of a unique retail system it owns and develops constantly, which consists of a distinctive combination of building design, interior and exterior accessories, business systems and methods (including unique food and beverage systems), operating standards, advertising and marketing techniques, customer clubs, digital components and applications supporting the implementation of the retail system on the franchising arrangement to ensure compliance with Philippine IP and licensing laws.
Successfully obtained a landmark ruling from the Supreme Court of the Philippines for a leading barbecue fast food restaurant chain in the Philippines, involving an opposition case against the application for registration of a trademark in the name of a local company, which is confusingly similar to the client's famous mark.
Successfully represented a global food and beverage chain in an enforcement action against a franchisor and several franchisees using the client's mark as a name of one of its products.
Assist a global FMCG in managing its trademark portfolio in the Philippines, including trademark application, registration, and opposition and IP enforcement of its various consumer brands.
Advise a leading US supplier of industrial gases, specialty gases, and related technologies and services for industry and healthcare on its compliance with Philippine Personal Data Protection Laws. Conducted training to the client's management, HR, IT, and Sales and Marketing team on data privacy and due diligence.
Advise a leading global online retailer on the application and requirements of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 to the client’s proposed customer program which will entail the exchange of personal information between the client and banks.
Assist a US-based car-rental company on legal matters relating to franchising arrangement to ensure compliance with Philippine IP and licensing laws. Handle pre-clearance of the franchising agreement with the Documentation, Information and Technology Transfer Bureau (DITTB) of the Philippine Intellectual Property Office.
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2017-2020
- Leading Individual in TMT, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016-2020
- Distinguished practitioner for Intellectual Property, Asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2020-2021
- Leading Trademark Professional, World Trademark Review 1000, 2020
- Top Patent Individual, Intellectual Property in the Philippines, IAM Patent 1000, 2017-2020
- IPStars Top 250 Women in IP, Managing IP, 2020
- IP Star for Trademarks, Managing IP, 2018-2019
- Up and Coming Lawyer in Intellectual Property, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- Licensing Executives Society International - Vice President and Director, Philippines Chapter
- ASEAN Intellectual Property Association
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- International Trademarks Association (INTA) - Chairperson of the SubCommittee for East Asia & Pacific of the Unreal Campaign Committee
- U.P. Women Lawyers Circle
- Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society for Social Sciences
- American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines - Chairperson of the IP Rights Committee
- European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines - Chairperson of the IP Rights Committee
- Intellectual Property Association of the Philippines (IPAP)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals - Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)
- Philippines (2001)
- Lund University (Master of Laws Intellectual Property and International Human Rights with Distinction) (2003)
- University of the Philippines (Bachelor of Laws) (2000)
- University of the Philippines (B.A. Public Administration, cum laude) (1995)
- Co-author, "Philippines: COVID-19 - Guidelines for proper handling of customer and visitor information for contact tracing issued by the National Privacy Commission," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 13 July 2020
- Co-author, "Philippines: COVID-19 - Videoconferencing now allowed for Intellectual Property Violations Cases and Inter Partes Cases in the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 9 July 2020
- Co-author, "Philippines: National Privacy Commission extends validity of DPO registrations to 7 March 2021; NPC Online Registration System available on 4 January 2021," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 3 July 2020
- Co-author, "New Guidelines from the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines in View of the Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine", Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, May 2020
- Co-author, "Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines Allows Conduct of Online Mediation Meetings and Conferences During the Enhanced Community Quarantine", Quisumbing Torres Client Alert, May 2020