Divina Ilas-Panganiban is a partner in Quisumbing Torres’ Intellectual Property Practice Group and Technology, Media and Telecommunications Industry Group. She has 18 years of experience in the fields of intellectual property law, commercial law, information technology law, and litigation. She currently serves as the Vice-President and Director of the Philippine Chapter of Licensing Executives Society International and the Chairperson of the Committee on Intellectual Property Rights, The American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines.
Divina's practice focuses on the protection of trademarks, copyright, patents and other intellectual property rights. She also assists clients in licensing and IP commercialization transactions, including franchising arrangements. She has advised various clients on regulatory and compliance matters, and has extensive experience in IP litigation cases, domain name disputes, data privacy, data breach and cyber security matters. She is an accredited arbitrator of the Philippine Intellectual Property Office and often serves as resource speaker in local and international seminars on IP and IT laws.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully obtained a landmark ruling from the Supreme Court of the Philippines for a leading barbecue fast food restaurant chain in the Philippines, involving an opposition case against the application for registration of a trademark in the name of a local company, which is confusingly similar to the client's famous mark.
- Successfully represented an American coffee company and coffeehouse chain in an enforcement action against a franchisor and several franchisees using the client's mark as a name of one of its products.
- Successfully represented an international fast-food chain in a Supreme Court case involving the opposition to the registration of a mark which is confusingly similar to the client's well-known mark.
- Advise a franchisor of an international fast-food chain on its franchising arrangements to determine compliance with Philippine IP and licensing laws.
- Assist a fast moving global consumer goods company in managing its trademark portfolio in the Philippines, including trademark application, registration, and opposition and IP enforcement of its various consumer brands.
- Maintain for the world's largest research-based pharmaceutical company its Philippine trademark portfolio and represent in various interpartes cases before the Philippine Intellectual Property Office. Act in enforcement actions involving infringement of its trademarks in the Philippines.
- Advise a leading US supplier of industrial gases, specialty gases, and related technologies and services for industry and healthcare client connection with its compliance with Philippine Personal Data Protection Laws. Conducted training to the client's management, HR, IT, and Sales and Marketing team on data privacy and due diligence.
- Assist one of the world’s largest e-tailing companies to provide advice on the application and requirements of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 to the client’s proposed customer program which will entail the exchange of personal information between the client and banks.
- Assist a US-based car-rental company on legal matters relating to franchising arrangement to ensure compliance with Philippine IP and licensing laws. Handle pre-clearance of the franchising agreement with the Documentation, Information and Technology Transfer Bureau (DITTB) of the Philippine Intellectual Property Office.
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016-2018
- Leading Individual in TMT, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016-2018
- Leading Trademark Professional (Bronze), World Trademark Review, 2016-2018
- Top Patent Individual, Intellectual Property in the Philippines, IAM Patent 1000, 2017-2018
- IP Star for Patents and Trademarks, Managing IP, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- Licensing Executives Society International - Vice President and Director, Philippines Chapter
- ASEAN Intellectual Property Association
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- International Trademark Association - UNREAL Campaign Committee
- U.P. Women Lawyers Circle
- Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society for Social Sciences
- American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines - Chairperson of the IP Rights Committee
- Philippines (2001)
- Lund University (Master of Laws Intellectual Property and International Human Rights with Distinction) (2003)
- University of Philippines (Bachelor of Laws) (2000)
- University of Philippines (B.A. Public Administration cum laude) (1995)
Quisumbing Torres is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.