Divina Ilas-Panganiban is a partner in Quisumbing Torres’ Intellectual Property Practice Group and Information Technology & Communications Industry Group. She has 17 years of experience in the fields of intellectual property law, commercial law and litigation. She currently serves as the Vice-President and Director of the Philippine Chapter of Licensing Executives Society International and the Chairperson of the committee on Intellectual Property Rights, The American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines.
Divina's practice focuses on the protection of trademarks, copyright, patents and other intellectual property rights. She also assists clients in licensing and IP commercialization transactions, including franchising arrangements. She has advised various clients on regulatory and compliance matters, and has extensive experience in IP litigation cases. She is an accredited arbitrator of the Philippine Intellectual Property Office and often serves as resource speaker in local and international seminars on IP and IT laws.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully represent an American coffee company and coffeehouse chain in an enforcement action against a franchisor and several franchisees using the client's mark as a name of one of its products.
- Successfully represent an international fast-food chain in a Supreme Court case involving the opposition to the registration of a mark which is confusingly similar to the client's well-known mark.
- Advise a franchisor of an international fast-food chain on its franchising arrangements to determine compliance with Philippine IP and licensing laws.
- Conduct for the world's largest research-based pharmaceutical company a due diligence review of the day-to-day procedure and examination of standard business forms and documents for compliance with the data privacy laws and regulations, and training the company's key officers in the area of data privacy and social media.
- Advise a leading US supplier of industrial gases, specialty gases, and related technologies and services for industry and healthcare client connection with its compliance with Philippine Personal Data Protection Laws. Conducted training to the client's management, HR, IT, and Sales and Marketing team on data privacy and due diligence.
- Advise an Asian information technology provider and electronics manufacturer on Philippine laws, including those on intellectual property, telecommunications, and data privacy, for its Philippine operations.
- Assist a multinational remittance company to provide guidance on the novel requirement of Philippine data privacy law to notify the National Privacy Commission (NPC) and data subjects of a data breach. Advise client on the specific requirements of the law regarding breach notification, the mandatory contents of the notice, and the procedure for filing the same with the NPC.
- Assist one of the world’s largest e-tailing companies to provide advice on the application and requirements of the Data Privacy Act of 2012 to the client’s proposed customer program which will entail the exchange of personal information between the client and banks.
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016-2018
- Leading Individual in TMT, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- Licensing Executives Society International - Vice President and Director, Philippines Chapter
- ASEAN Intellectual Property Association
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- International Trademark Association - Geographic Indications Committee
- U.P. Women Lawyers Circle
- Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society for Social Sciences
- American Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines - Chairperson of the IP Rights Committee
- Philippines (2001)
- Lund University (Master of Laws Intellectual Property and International Human Rights with Distinction) (2003)
- University of Philippines (Bachelor of Laws) (2000)
- University of Philippines (B.A. Public Administration cum laude) (1995)
Quisumbing Torres is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.