Toshio Ibaraki is a member of Baker McKenzie’s Compliance & Misconduct Investigation Group and Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions Group in Tokyo. Prior to joining the Firm, he worked at a major international accounting firm, where he gained experience in accounting audits at listed companies. From 2005 to 2007, Mr. Ibaraki was seconded to the principal investment department of a major Japanese securities company where he advised on a wide range of investment matters, including corporate restructuring investment and private equity investment. He was seconded to Baker & McKenzie.Wong & Leow in Singapore from June 2011 to August 2012, where he assisted Japanese companies with compliance and investigation matters in Southeast Asia.
Mr. Ibaraki focuses his practice on general corporate law. He is particularly knowledgeable in corporate compliance and its related areas. Mr. Ibaraki has advised many Japanese clients on the establishment of effective compliance programs abroad. He also has extensive experience in handling internal compliance investigations in the Asia Pacific. In addition, he leverages his knowledge and experience in accounting and tax to advise on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
Compliance and Misconduct Investigation
- Assisted several major Japanese manufacturers and trade companies in establishing and implementing anti-bribery and competition law compliance programs in the Asia Pacific.
- Assisted US FCPA investigation on bribery cases in Southeast Asia for a Japanese multinational company listed on the NYSE.
- Conducted an internal investigation for Japan Transportation Consultants, Inc. in relation to bribery cases in Vietnam, Indonesia and Uzbekistan as a member of a third-party panel.
- Assisted in anti-bribery due diligence on an Indian business acquired by a Japanese manufacturer listed on the TSE.
- Assisted an internal investigation into manipulation of study data in drug approval applications, and assisted in discussions with the relevant authorities for a multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a client a Japanese auto parts manufacturer listed on the TSE in the investigation of an international cartel and in plea bargaining with the relevant authorities.
- Assisted in an internal investigation of misappropriation by a local employee of a Japanese parent company's Chinese subsidiary.
Corporate / Mergers and Acquisitions
- Acted for The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Limited in its acquisition of the shares of Protective Life Corporation, a US-listed insurance company (rated Best FIG Deal by FinanceAsia Japan 2014/15).
- Acted for a Japanese trading company in its minority acquisitions in resource development companies in Singapore and South Africa.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Certified Public Accountant (2003)
- Japan (2003)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.) (2011)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (Bachelor of Business Administration) (2003)
- Waseda University (Bachelor of Economics) (1995)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.