Dr. Valentina Hirsiger is senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s Arbitration and Litigation Group in Zurich. Prior to joining the Firm as an associate in 2016, Valentina was an associate lecturer and research assistant at the University of Zurich and was awarded the Walter Hug Prize for her doctoral thesis on arbitration clauses in articles of association of Swiss corporations. Since 2023, Valentina has acted as a part-time judge at the Princely Supreme Court in Liechtenstein.
Valentina advises parties in the field of dispute resolution and general contract law, with a focus on national and international disputes in commercial, construction and corporate law. She has represented parties in various commercial disputes before both international arbitral tribunals and state courts and regularly advises clients on project and contract management and dispute avoidance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defending a German manufacturer in an ICC arbitration against claims raised in relation to a turbine provided for a power plant in a South American country.
- Advising an international chain restaurant operator on legal options and consequences of a termination of various franchise agreements.
- Acting for a German manufacturer in a SAC arbitration commenced by a former licensee over alleged license fee claims.
- Representing and advising a Swiss real estate investment company in various disputes over the late completion of construction projects.
- Defending a large Swiss industrial group company against post-M&A claims raised by the buyer before Swiss state courts.
- Acting for a large German manufacturer in an ICC arbitration to enforce damages claims against its consortium partner in connection with delays incurred in the construction of a logistics automation facility located in an Asian country.
- Representing a Swiss manufacturer in SAC arbitration proceedings to enforce claims against Turkish business partner for outstanding purchase price.
- Representing a Swiss hotel owner in Swiss state court litigation over the termination of the management agreement.
- Acting for a Chinese manufacturer in an ICC arbitration concerning warranty disputes in relation to a limestone factory plant installed in the Czech Republic.
- Representing a Swiss investment company in Swiss state court proceedings regarding audit and information requests raised by minority shareholder.
- Assisting a US company with the drafting of localized contracts for the design and construction of data centers.
- Defending a former board member against liability claims raised by shareholder in Swiss state court proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Swiss Bar Association
- Zurich Bar Association
- Switzerland (2014)
- Schiedsklauseln in Statuten schweizerischer Aktiengesellschaften, Schweizer Schriften zum Handels- und Wirtschaftsrecht, Band 338, Dike Verlag, Zürich/St. Gallen 2017
- Statutarische Schiedsklauseln nach dem Entwurf für ein neues Aktienrecht, Schriften zum Aktienrecht, Band 28, Schulthess Verlag, Zürich 2018 (co-authored with Prof. Dr. Hans-Ueli Vogt and Thomas Hofer)
- Bezugsrechtsausschluss und Ausgabebetrag. Möglichkeiten und Schranken einer Ausgabe von börsenkotierten Aktien an einen Drittinvestor, in: Müller/Forrer/Zuur (Hrsg.): Das Aktienrecht im Wandel, Zum 50. Geburtstag von Hans-Ueli Vogt, Dike Verlag, Zürich/St. Gallen 2020
- Kommentar zu Art. 697n OR, in: Kren Kostkiewicz/Wolf/Amstutz/Fankhauser, OR Kommentar (Orell Füssli), 4. Aufl, Zürich 2022
- Vertragsrecht und Vertragsmanagement, in: Baker McKenzie, Zürich (Hrsg.), Entwicklungen im schweizerischen Wirtschaftsrecht 2018/2019; 2019/2020; 2021/2022; 2022/2023
- Regular contributions on Global Arbitration News and Global Litigation News
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.