Julia Hemmings is of counsel in Baker McKenzie's IT/Commercial Group based in London. Together with Helen Brown, Julia heads up the Consumer and Commercial Advisory Practice. Julia joined the Firm in 2001 and also worked in the Sydney office from March 2006 to March 2008.
Julia advises on a broad range of commercial matters. She regularly advises on consumer, marketing, e-commerce and privacy issues in the context of online and offline business activities. Julia’s practice focuses on consumer transactions, particularly in the retail fashion sector, and on the technology side of fast-moving consumer products.
Representative Legal Matters
- Providing strategic advice to international retailers on their EU rollout of both online and retail consumer sales channels, including recent changes to the EU legislative framework for consumer protection, marketing/advertising regulations and privacy issues.
- Advising on all aspects of promotions (sweepstakes, prize draws, promotions) for multinational companies.
- Coordinating and advising on a multijurisdictional survey project on the regulation of retail sales across EMEA with particular focus on mark-down pricing regulation for luxury goods retailers.
- Advising on local compliance issues on a global basis with particular focus on highly regulated sectors including sales of alcohol, gambling activities and healthcare products.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2003)
- Nottingham University (2000)
- University of Birmingham (LL.B.) (1999)
- University of Limoges (Diploma French Law) (1998)