Michelle Hartmann is a member of the North American Litigation and Government Enforcement Practice Group and the Employment and Compensation Practice Group. She graduated first in her class at Southern Methodist University and Dedman School of Law.
Michelle's practice covers all aspects of commercial litigation and disputes in state and federal courts throughout the country, with a particular emphasis on class action litigation of all types and internal investigations, including workplace investigations. She is an experienced litigator who defends companies, officers, and directors in high-stakes securities class actions, shareholder derivative litigation, data-breach class actions, airline-related class actions, coupon and gift card class actions, and employment class actions. Michelle also handles whistle-blower matters of all types, including employment and workplace violations, compliance issues, and corporate governance and securities regulation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing Audit Committee of a publicly-traded drilling company in confidential whistleblower matter.
- Representing a publicly-traded specialty store in confidential whistleblower investigation and resulting executive termination.
- Representing a private transmission company in regulatory matters and confidential employment advice.
- Representing a publicly-traded craft store in litigation involving indemnification disputes.
- Representing a private energy company in multiple workplace employment investigations.
- Representing airline in putative class action related to EU 261 claim.
- Representing specialty company in putative class action related to gift cards.
Prior to joining the Firm, Michelle handled the following matters:
- Represented a Special Committee of the board of a publicly-traded energy company relating to FCPA issues.
- Represented Audit Committee of a publicly-traded energy company in a multi-country FCPA-related investigation.
- Represented publicly-traded telecommunications company in confidential workplace employment investigation.
- Judge Carolyn Dineen King, then-Chief Judge of the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (2002-2003)
- Judge Barbara M.G. Lynn, current Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas (2001-2002)
- Recognized as leading Litigation attorney, The Best Lawyers in America, 2013-2017
- Recognized as leading Litigation attorney, Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2016-2017
- Leading Lawyer for Litigation: Trade Secrets in the US, The Legal 500 USA, 2011, 2013 and 2015
- 40 Under 40 Award, Dallas Business Journal, 2011
- Texas Rising Star for Litigation/Regulatory,Texas Super Lawyers/Texas Monthly, 2008-2011
- Texas Super Lawyer, Texas Super Lawyers/Texas Monthly, 2012-2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Judge Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court - Associate
- Judge Mac Taylor American Inn of Court - Barrister
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program - Member
- Dallas Women Lawyer’s Association - Former President and Board Member
- State Bar of Texas - Member
- Lifetime Corps Member of Teach for America (an organization in which she formerly taught high school biology as a Teach for America Corps teacher).
- Current board member of All Stars Program of Dallas and The Dallas Children’s Theatre.
- Past board member of Vogel Alcove, the Dance Guild at Booker T. Washington School of the Arts, and the Dallas Metropolitan Ballet Guild.
- Previously served as a child advocate for foster children through the Dallas Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA).
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit~United States (2015)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2011)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2005)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2004)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2005)
- New York~United States (2010)
- Texas~United States (2001)
- SMU Dedman School of Law (JD summa cum laude) (2001)
- University of North Carolina (BA with honors) (1994)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.