Mara was recently nominated as a Rising Star in the Euromoney LMG Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2018.
Mara focuses on EU and UK competition and trade law advising multinational firms across a range of sectors - including media, financial services, fast-moving consumer goods, IT, auto components and electronics. Her practice involves advising, investigating and building defence strategies in antitrust and other regulatory cases and securing commercial outcomes by applying EU and UK competition and trade law.
Mara has significant expertise in the management of internal and external investigations. She has particular experience in advising clients involved in cross-border audits and settlements with government authorities and regulatory bodies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a global financial institution on a series of significant multijurisdictional investigations into potential breaches of financial services regulation, competition law and compliance policy.
- Advising a multinational pharmaceutical company on an internal investigation covering possible breaches of antitrust, regulatory and anti-bribery and corruption laws.
- Advising a Japanese conglomerate on the European Commission's investigation into a global cartel, including in respect of reporting strategies, fining policies, settlement, relevant defence matters and potential civil litigation exposure.
- Advising a leading manufacturer of electronic products in a contested EU investigation, leading to a successful acquittal.
- Advising a number of large consumer goods companies in a number of industries (IT, music and cosmetics) on distribution agreements, including on risks arising in respect of resale price maintenance, territorial restrictions and online sales.
- Carrying out market risk assessments for an international cosmetics company with a view to analysing behavioural issues arising in instances of potential market dominance.
- Advising private equity companies on EU and UK merger control and liaising with the EU and UK authorities on merger notifications.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2014)
- King's College London, UK (Master of Arts EU Competition Law) (2016)
- College of Law at Moorgate (2011)
- King's College London, UK (Bachelor of Laws European Legal Studies) (2010)
Author, "Information Sharing in Cartel Investigations," American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Fall 2017
Co-author, "Competition law enforcement surges in the UK," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, July 2017
Co-author, "Five things that really matter on an EU antitrust dawn raid," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, May 2017
Presenter, "Cartels and Settlements Updates," European Competition Law Update, March 2016
Presenter, "Update on Article 101 TFEU," European Competition Law Update, March 2015