Mars Ghiorghies is a Senior Associate member of the Baker McKenzie Global Compliance and Investigations team, with a particular focus on antitrust/competition law and international trade. Mara advises clients across a number of sectors on global regulatory reviews of cross-border conduct and transactions, building defence strategies and securing commercial settlements. Mara has also spent time working in Baker McKenzie's Brussels and Tokyo offices.
Mara was recently nominated as a Rising Star in the Euromoney LMG Europe Women in Business Law Awards 2018.
Mara has significant expertise in the management of internal and external investigations. She has particular experience in advising clients involved in cross-border audits and settlements with government authorities and regulatory bodies. Mara secures commercial settlements and regulatory approvals for multinational firms across a range of sectors - including media, financial services, fast-moving consumer goods, IT and industrials. Her practice involves investigating, advising and building defence strategies in antitrust and other regulatory cases and transactions, leading to full acquittals, approvals or reductions of penalties, including in front of the European Commission, UK Competition and Markets Authority and other global or sectoral regulators.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a consumer goods manufacturer in a series of parallel antitrust investigations into resale price maintenance at EU Member State level.
- Advising a global financial institution on a series of significant multijurisdictional investigations into potential breaches of financial services regulation, competition law and compliance policy.
- Representing the Brands for Europe coalition of 23 global brand owners in connection with the European Commission’s review of the EU Vertical Restraints Block Exemption & Guidelines.
- Advising a number of Japanese conglomerates on EU and UK merger filings processes and securing full approvals.
- Advising a multinational pharmaceutical company on an internal investigation covering possible breaches of antitrust, regulatory and anti-bribery and corruption laws.
- Advising a Japanese conglomerate on the European Commission's investigation into a global cartel, including in respect of reporting strategies, fining policies, settlement, relevant defence matters and potential civil litigation exposure.
- Advising a leading manufacturer of electronic products in a contested EU investigation, leading to a successful acquittal.
- Advising a number of large consumer goods companies (including IT, cosmetics, electronics) on distribution agreements, including on risks arising in respect of resale price maintenance, territorial restrictions and online sales.
- Carrying out market risk assessments for international consumer goods companies with a view to analysing behavioural issues arising in instances of potential market dominance.
- Advising private equity companies on EU and UK merger control and liaising with the EU and UK authorities on merger notifications.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Steering Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce Young Competition Network - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2014)
- King's College London, UK (Master of Arts EU Competition Law) (2016)
- College of Law at Moorgate (2011)
- King's College London, UK (Bachelor of Laws European Legal Studies) (2010)
- Co-author, “In Search of the Perfect Settlement Procedure”, Taking Competition Law Outside the Box Liber Amicorum Richard Whish QC (Hon), March 2020
- Co-author, “European competition law enforcement: time to settle our differences”, European Competition Law Review, Volume 41: Issue 2 2020
- Author, "Information Sharing in Cartel Investigations," American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Fall 2017
- Co-author, "Competition law enforcement surges in the UK," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, July 2017
- Co-author, "Five things that really matter on an EU antitrust dawn raid," Baker McKenzie Client Alert, May 2017