Paul acts in complex commercial disputes before state, federal and appeal courts in relation to claims for negligence, misleading conduct and other contraventions of trade practices legislation, breach of contract, judicial review, equitable relief, fraud, white-collar crime, data and cyber-security.
Paul also has significant experience in class actions, financial services, disputes related to business sale and purchase contracts, supply and distribution contracts, franchising agreements and the use and misuse of confidential information.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a market structure design and market operations business group in a dispute in the Supreme Court of New South Wales with a technology supplier.
- Acting for global technology companies in disputes over access and fees payable for licenced software and web content, billing systems and system failures.
- Acting for a financial services start-up company in a dispute in the Federal Court of Australian relating to business process intellectual property.
- Advising and representing corporate clients in connection with ASIC investigations.
- Acting for and advising a professional services membership body in disciplinary matters and judicial review proceedings.
- Acting for a global automotive manufacturer in a dispute with an Australian bank relating to a financial services marketing and licence agreement.
- Advising a global investment bank in a dispute with a major Australian bank relating to the sale of a customer technology platform.
- Representing employers in relation to employee fraud or misappropriation of corporate funds.
- Advising and acting for businesses impacted by data breaches or other data security incidents including to seek urgent injunctive relief for preliminary discovery, to freeze assets (Mareva injunctions) or search and seize documents and data (Anton Pillar orders).
- Advising and representing Appco Group Australia in a class action alleging sham contracting and non-compliance with a range of employment obligations. This is the first class action of its kind and one of very few employment related class actions ever commenced in Australia.
- Ranked in Litigation, Best Lawyers (Australia), 2014 -2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Communications and Media Law Association - Member
- Notary Public (NSW) - Member of the Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries
- New South Wales~Australia (2001)
- University of Edinburgh (Diploma Legal Practice) (1998)
- University of Edinburgh (LL.B. Honours) (1997)