Paul acts in strategic commercial disputes before state, federal and appeal courts in relation to claims for breach of contract, negligence, equitable relief, contraventions of trade practices legislation, fraud, white collar crime and cybersecurity.
Paul focuses on disputes involving the information technology and communications industries including in relation to access to corporate computer systems and networks; use and misuse of confidential information; software and hardware system implementation; licensed media content and copyright infringement.
Paul also has significant experience in disputes related to business sale and purchase contracts, supply and distribution contracts and franchising agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for telecommunications companies and their subsidiaries in numerous substantial commercial disputes including in relation to:
- unauthorised access to computer systems and misuse of confidential information;
- interconnect access arrangements and access to declared services and premises;
- the wholesale supply of telecommunications services;
- alleged anti-competitive conduct concerning consumer terms and conditions;
- the payment of fees for licensed media content; and
- allegations of large scale copyright infringement relating to a cloud based PVR service.
- Acting for a global technology company in a dispute over access and fees payable for licensed software and web content.
- Acting for a global distribution and logistics services provider in litigation in the Federal Court of Australia in relation to the implementation of a major software and services project.
- Acting for a global technology services company in litigation in the Supreme Court of NSW over a billing system supplied to a NSW utility.
- Acting for a global outsourced services provider in relation to the failure of an airline reservations system.
- Advising and representing employers in relation to instances of employee fraud or misappropriation of corporate funds.
- Advising and representing corporate clients in connection with ASIC investigations.
- Advising and representing AECOM Australia in Federal Court proceedings arising out of traffic forecasting work relating to the CLEM Jones tunnel in Brisbane.
- Advising and acting for John Symond in Supreme Court of NSW Proceedings against two Australian law firms over claims of negligent taxation advice.
- Recognised lawyer, Litigation, Best Lawyers (Australia), 2014 and 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Communications and Media Law Association - Member
- Notary Public (NSW) - Member of the Australian and New Zealand College of Notaries
- New South Wales~Australia (2001)
- University of Edinburgh (Diploma Legal Practice) (1998)
- University of Edinburgh (LL.B. Honours) (1997)