Dr. Lukas Feiler, SSCP, CIPP/E, has more than eight years of experience in IP/IT and is a partner and head of the IP and IT team at Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG in Vienna. He is a lecturer for data protection law at the University of Vienna Law School and for IT compliance at the University of Applied Science Wiener Neustadt. Prior to joining the Firm, Lukas was an associate at the Austrian headquarter of an international law firm, vice director at the European Center for E-Commerce and Internet Law, and an intern at the European Commission, DG Information Society & Media. Having worked at IT companies in Vienna, Leeds, and New York, he has experience as a system and network administrator. In April 2014, Lukas has been named as Cyber Security Lawyer of the Year for Austria in the 2014 Finance Monthly Law Awards. In 2011, he received the Jus-Top-League Award from Die Presse and the Academy for Law, Taxes & Business as one of the five most promising up-and-coming lawyers.
Lukas advises multinational and domestic clients on data protection, telecommunications law, IT outsourcing, software licensing, cyber security, copyright, trademark law, patent law and e-commerce matters. Furthermore, he works on the IP and IT aspects of mergers, acquisitions, financings, joint ventures, reorganizations and other strategic alliances. Lukas has experience in the IT services, software, telecommunications, and e-commerce industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an American on-demand Internet movie streaming provider on consumer protection law and all relevant regulatory requirements regarding its market entrance in Austria.
- Advising a US multinational telecommunications operator regarding its entrance into the Austrian market as a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) and all applicable regulatory requirements under Austrian telecommunications law.
- Advising an international construction company on the quantitative assessment of compliance risks and coordinating a multi-jurisdictional internal compliance investigation into alleged competition law violations and corrupt practices, including the management of cyber-forensic, document review and interview processes, all while ensuring compliance with applicable data protection requirements.
- Advised one of the world’s leading companies in the energy sector on an incident of suspected industrial espionage carried out for the benefit of one of its fiercest competitors in central Europe. The incident concerned the theft of all technical drawings for a new industry engine, the development of which cost the client more than EUR50 million.
- Advised an American international IT service provider on regulatory compliance of a Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) project.
- Among the Top 3 for data protection law, trend Anwaltsranking 2021
- Next Generation Partner in data privacy and data protection, in TMT, Legal 500 Europe 2020/2021
- TMT: Information Technology - Austria, Chambers Europe, 2020
- Best Lawyers in Austria 2019 for information technology law, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Rising Star in TMT, IFLR Europe 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E) (2015)
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) (Certification) (2009)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Austrian Chapter of the International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium ((ISC)²)
- IT-LAW.AT - Scholarly Association for Information Law
- Austria (2014)
- University of Vienna (Dr. iur.) (2011)
- Fellowship at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies at Stanford University (2011)
- Stanford-Vienna Transatlantic Technology Forum (TTLF) (Fellowship) (2009)
- University of Vienna (Mag. iur.) (2008)
- Co-author (Abd El Malak Abanoub, Neuper Oliver, Reichetseder Martin, Rieken Simone, Romandy Istvan), "Whistleblowing & Internal Investigations - Praxiskommentar zur Whistleblowing-Richtlinie," LexisNexis ARD ORAC, 14 September 2021
- Co-author (with Simone Rieken, et al.) Handbook "Hinweisgebersysteme - Implementierung in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz," 2nd edition by Nic Behr, Felix Ruhmannseder and Georg Krakow, Müller C.F. Wirtschaftsrecht series, June 2021
- Co-author (with Christopher Drolz), "DSGVO erleichtert Machine Learning für autonome Fahrzeuge," Industrie Magazin, 3 March 2021
- Co-editor, (with Thomas Rainer Schmitt), MSchG Markenschutzgesetz in Leitsätzen, Verlag Österreich, 7 December 2020
- Co-author (with Elisabeth Dehareng, Francesca Gaudino, Julia Kaufmann, Holger Lutz, Michaela Nebel, Michael Schmidl, Florian Tannen, Magdalena Kogut-Czarkowska, Joanna De Fonseka, Benjamin Slinn), "Europe: Guidelines on the concepts of controller and processor in the GDPR," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 22 September 2020
- Contributor, Handbook Compliance, 3rd edition, edited by Karin Mair and Alexander Petsche, August 2019