Robbie A. M. Downing
Baker & McKenzie Services Limited
Robbie began his career as an EU/antitrust lawyer at Baker & McKenzie. In 1990, he joined IBM as an in-house lawyer and later became a law lecturer at King’s College, London. Robbie returned to Baker McKenzie in 1995, becoming a partner in 1998. He has specialized for over 25 years in data protection and telecoms. He is ranked as a Thought Leader for Data - Telecoms & Media by Who's Who Legal. Chambers highlights Robbie for Telecommunications ("He is incredibly supportive and has a wealth of experience in this area").
Since the 1990s, Robbie has specialized in data protection and telecoms. Recent projects include major global privacy compliance projects as well as specific privacy challenges such as international transfers, security breaches and rolling out new technology. He has also led numerous multinational telecoms compliance projects especially for new entrants.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising major global brand on privacy compliance across Europe.
- Advising major data marketing business on compliance with GDPR, including submissions to authorities.
- Advising major energy business on breach notifications in Europe.
- Advising leading IT service provider on enabling voice functionality in over 60 countries.
- Advising major healthcare supplier on new project to process data on drug use across Europe.
- Advising global web business on cloud voice service in over 50 countries.
- Lead adviser for more than 5 years to major IT player on global telcoms regulatory compliance.
- Advising leading Asian bank on full range of policies and procedures for GDPR compliance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Member of Practical Law Company, Consultation Boards for Data Protection and TMT
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1988)
- Institut d'Etudes Europeenes (Licence Speciale in European Law (la plus grande distinction)) (1986)
- College of Law at Guildford (1985)
- Oxford University (Exeter College) (M.A. Jurisprudence (Wronker Prize for overall best performance)) (1984)
EU Information Technology Law (Wiley, 1995)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.