David Díaz is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Labor & Employment Practice Group in Madrid since 2004 and has significant experience litigating in labor courts and negotiations with unions. He is recognized in the field of employment law by Chambers Europe and Legal 500. In addition to his practice, Mr. Díaz regularly collaborates with economic newspapers, has co-authored several leading reference books on employment and is a regular speaker in industrial relations courses. Mr. Díaz has oversight responsibility for the Spanish Office’s Pro Bono Program, and regularly performs pro bono work for the Central America Tourism Agency.
Mr. Díaz advises domestic and multinational companies on a broad range of labor and employment matters, with particular emphasis on union-related negotiations on a variety of issues including layoffs and relocations, collective bargaining agreements and equality plans. He is seasoned in major reorganization and restructuring processes, and has extensive experience advising on and litigating occupational and health safety issues and social security and pension liability matters. Mr. Díaz also focuses on sports law, advising on professional athletes’ contracts, negotiation of contracts and transfers, and compensation schemes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a major automotive company in the closure of its manufacturing plant in Madrid, which affected over 200 employees and involved substantial negotiations with trade unions and labor authorities in a highly conflicting environment.
- Representing a major retail store in a massive reorganization and downsizing of its workforce by 70 percent as a result of insolvency proceedings and assisting in negotiations and implementation of redundancies at several stores throughout Spain.
- Advising a major multinational company on all labor, employment, social security and redundancy issues arising from its merger with another pharmaceutical company. The matter constituted the largest labor restructuring in the pharmaceutical sector in Spain over the last few years and involved substantial negotiations with the unions to lay off over 150 employees.
- Advising a major multinational publishing company in the reorganization of its business models and operations in Spain, including redundancies and significant changes to employment conditions and policies.
- Assisting a major European manufacturer in the shut-down of its factory and assisting in negotiations with trade unions and labor authorities in laying off all employees.
- Advising a multinational European company with operations in the amusement and leisure industry, including the major downsizing of one of the key leisure parks in Spain. Also assisted in strategy development and implementation of workforce reduction, as well as extensive negotiations with trade unions and labor authorities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Young Lawyers Association
- Madrid Bar Association
- Madrid~Spain (1993)
- Universidad San Pablo CEU (Law Degree) (1993)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid