Mr. Díaz advises domestic and multinational companies on a broad range of labor and employment matters, with particular emphasis on union-related negotiations on a variety of issues including layoffs and relocations, collective bargaining agreements and equality plans. He is seasoned in major reorganization and restructuring processes, and has extensive experience advising on and litigating occupational and health safety issues and social security and pension liability matters, focusing on areas such as labour and employment benefit specialties, collective agreement negotiations, collective dismissals, major reorganizations and negotiations with works councils, trade unions, and public authorities, employment litigation, employment contracts, compliance, human resources, labour reorganizations and industrial disputes. He also has great experience on social security, local, national and European works councils, trade union recognition procedures and elections, employee's compensation, executive compensation, executive terminations, employment taxation, pensions, executive transfers, discrimination and privacy issues.
Mr.Diaz has extensive experience in sports law and in particular in the soccer industry. In particular, he regularly advises Spanish and foreign clubs on the legal aspects of their operations, both in sports matters and in the day-to-day management of such organizations. Likewise, David regularly advises agents and intermediaries, both national and international, in all matters related to contracting, modification and termination of contractual relationships, providing advice on all legal aspects related to the transfer of sports players, agents and intermediaries, both national and international. He also has extensive experience in advising foreign investors with a potential interest in the European soccer industry on M&A transactions. He regularly participates in the Sports Law Forum organized by Fundación LaLiga, in the permanent seminar organized by the Association of Football Players organized by the Spanish Footballers Association (AFE) and ISDE and in other forums of debate and legal analysis such as FIDE. He is also a professor in the Master in Law applied to Football at LaLiga Business School, in the Master in Sports Law at UNIR and in the Master in Sports Law at UNIR.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a major automotive company in the closure of its manufacturing plant in Madrid, which affected over 200 employees and involved substantial negotiations with trade unions and labor authorities in a highly conflicting environment.
- Representing a major retail store in a massive reorganization and downsizing of its workforce by 70 percent as a result of insolvency proceedings and assisting in negotiations and implementation of redundancies at several stores throughout Spain.
- Advising a major multinational company on all labor, employment, social security and redundancy issues arising from its merger with another pharmaceutical company. The matter constituted the largest labor restructuring in the pharmaceutical sector in Spain over the last few years and involved substantial negotiations with the unions to lay off over 150 employees.
- Advising a major multinational publishing company in the reorganization of its business models and operations in Spain, including redundancies and significant changes to employment conditions and policies.
- Assisting a major European manufacturer in the shut-down of its factory and assisting in negotiations with trade unions and labor authorities in laying off all employees.
- Advising a multinational European company with operations in the amusement and leisure industry, including the major downsizing of one of the key leisure parks in Spain. Also assisted in strategy development and implementation of workforce reduction, as well as extensive negotiations with trade unions and labor authorities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Young Lawyers Association
- Madrid Bar Association
- Madrid~Spain (1993)
- Universidad San Pablo CEU (Law Degree) (1993)
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid