Luis Dates is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Buenos Aires office, where he heads the Dispute Resolution and Public Law practice groups. He has broad experience advising national and foreign companies across a range of public and administrative law issues, particularly doing business with the national government, provinces, municipalities and state-owned enterprises. He also assists and represents clients in complex and multidisciplinary litigation, and is active in domestic and international arbitration.
Luis is a mediator and arbitrator for the Private Center of Mediation and Arbitration. He has written books and numerous articles for various legal publications on topics related to his field. He is also a professor at the School of Law of the University of Buenos Aires and at the School of Legal and Social Sciences of the Museo Social Argentino University.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a Spanish construction company in a domestic arbitration against an Argentine state-owned enterprise for several claims related to an EPC contract of a major power plant.
- Representing an American retail company against municipal, provincial and national authorities in multijurisdictional consumer protection cases.
- Advising pharmaceutical companies in several public bid procedures before national health agencies for the provision of medical products.
- Advised construction companies on the creation and development of trust funds and other monetary contribution legal structures for public works and infrastructure projects.
- Represented a European online gaming company in several disputes before federal and provincial courts, including the Supreme Court, due to alleged infringements to gambling regulations.
- Representing an American worldwide consumer products company in a high-profile environmental litigation before the Supreme Court.
- Representing an American document and information storage company in several administrative procedures for alleged infringements to permit, construction, urban planning, and health and security regulations.
- Representing several clients in damages claims related to termination of various types of distribution agreements.
- Advised a multinational provider of scientific, technical and medical information products and services on contracts with the National Science and Technology Agency.
- Advised an international construction company on developing compliance policies, especially in dealing with public officials, state agencies and subcontractors of an EPC contract.\
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Argentine Association of Administrative Law - Member
- Argentine Association of Construction Law - Member
- San Isidro Bar Association - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce - Legal Committee Member
- Buenos Aires Bar Association - Member
- Federal Court of Appeals of the City of La Plata - Member
- Buenos Aires~Argentina (2004)
- Austral University (Agribusiness Legal Regime Course) (2018)
- Universidad Austral (LL.M. Administrative Law, summa cum laude) (2009)
- University of Business and Social Sciences (Intensive Program of Corporate Law) (2007)
- University of Buenos Aires (J.D., Honors) (2004)