James Burdett has extensive experience acting on fund transactions in the private equity, real estate, environment markets and renewable energy sectors. He also acts as adviser to buyers and sellers in secondary transactions involving private equity and real estate fund interests. James heads the London Investment Funds Group and sits on the Firm's Global Funds Group Steering Committee. A partner in the Firm’s Corporate Group in London, he also serves on the Law Society Company Law Committee and its Investment Funds Working Group. James frequently speaks at external and internal conferences on funds and secondary market transactions.
James offers substantial experience in the formation of private equity and hedge fund structures, fund reviews and due diligence for investors, investment management and advisory agreements, information memoranda and other offering documents. He also provides counsel on specific investment structures for asset classes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for Earth Capital Partners in relation to the formation of its UK fund advisory business and Guernsey fund platform.
- Acting for Earth Capital Partners on the launch of ECP Renewable Energy Fund One, L.P.
- Acting for Samruk-Kazyna (the Kazakh Sovereign wealth fund) on its co-sponsored (with the EBRD) Kazakh-focussed buyout fund, the Kazakhstan Growth Fund.
- Acting for AXA Private Equity on several secondary market transactions of private equity fund interests.
- Acting for a listed European real estate investment company on the sale of two significant portfolios of interests in real estate funds.
- Acting for Kuwait Investment Office in relation to private equity fund investments and restructuring.
- Acting for EFG-Hermes KSA on the structuring and documentation of one of the first Saudi listed equities funds approved by the Saudi Capital Markets Authority.
- Acting for Hammerson plc in relation to the establishment of a £800 million real estate fund structure for the acquisition and redevelopment of central Birmingham, UK.
- Acting for a global financial institution on the establishment of a hybrid carbon fund.
- Acting for a multi-national agricultural products company on the establishment of a significant methane capture fund.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Company Law Committee
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1995)
- London Guildhall University (Law Society Finals) (1993)
- London Guildhall University (C.P.E.) (1991)
- University of Edinburgh (Master of Arts Geography Honors) (1990)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.