Klaus-Dieter Borchardt is a Senior Energy Advisor at the European & Competition Law Practice in the Baker McKenzie Brussels office. He joined the Firm in 2020.
Klaus-Dieter worked for 33 years at the European Commission, including four years at the European Court of Justice. When he left the European Commission, he was Deputy Director General for Energy.
Klaus-Dieter is also an expert in EU Law, having spent 12 years in the Commissions' Legal Service where he was responsible for state aid, internal market and agriculture.
He is a Professor at the Julius-Maximilians-University, author of a standard textbook on EU Law and co-editor of a commentary of the EU Treaties.
Representative Legal Matters
- Free University of Berlin (Dr. jur.) (1985)
- High Court of Hamburg (Second State Examination) (1985)
- University of Hamburg (First State Exam) (1979)
- "Die rechtlichen Grundlagen der Europäischen Union" (which could be translated into English as: The basic legal principles of the European Union), textbook on EU law, UTB no. 1669, 7th edition, Vienna 2020, 660 pages.
- Commentary on the Treaty on European Union (TEU) and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU) (editor together with Prof C. O. Lenz), 6th edition, Cologne, Basel, Vienna, 2012; commentary on Articles 174-178 TFEU (Economic and Social Cohesion) and Articles 251-2281 TFEU, Art. 19 TEU, (Court of Justice).
- "Das ABC des EU Rechts" (which could be translated into English as: The ABC of European Union Law), European documentary, 8th edition, Brussels 2020.
- "Europäische Integration – Die Entstehung und Entwicklung der Europäischen Union" (which could be translated into English as: European integration – The formation and development of the European Union), European documentary, 3rd edition, Brussels 1995.
- "Der Grundsatz des Vertrauensschutzes im Europäischen Gemeinschaftsrecht" (which could be translated into English as: The principle of the protection of legitimate expectations under European Community law). PhD, Berlin 1987, Europa-Forschung (Research Europe) volume 15 (editors Grabitz, Molsberger, Hrbek), Engel-Verlag, Kehl a.Rh. 1988.
- Contributor to "Vertragsverletzungsverfahren" (infringement proceedings) (P.I.1.) and "Schadensersatzklage" (action for damages) (P.I.4.) in: Dauses (editor), Handbuch des EG-Wirtschaftsrechts (which could be translated into English as: Handbook of EC commercial law), Munich 2017.