Steve Abraham is a partner in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team based in London and serves as the firm's Dispute Resolution chair for the EMEA region. Steve has a particular focus on international arbitration and ADR in the energy, mining and infrastructure projects, often involving projects in Africa, the Middle East and CIS countries.
In addition to acting in commercial disputes Steve advises in relation to investment treaty issues and in relation to risk and project management issues during the course of projects.
The current edition of Chambers & Partners describes Steve as "an impressive lawyer" who is "nice to deal with". Previous editions have described him as "superb", "very knowledgeable in construction" and "really strong on large-scale infrastructure and mining work", and commented that "his teamwork is great". He is also included in Legal 500's newly published International Arbitration Powerlist and as a leading practitioner in Euromoney's Expert Guide to Commercial Arbitration.
Steve writes and speaks regularly on international arbitration and construction law issues.
Steve's work is predominantly international, with projects in Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and CIS countries. His practice focuses mainly on international arbitration, and he is experienced in working with all of the major arbitral institutions. In addition to commercial dispute resolution, Steve regularly advises on investment treaties and public international law issues. As well as representing clients in disputes, Steve advises on dispute avoidance and project management issues. He also sits as an arbitrator.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for an industrial group on a range of disputes in international arbitration and other fora arising out of the development of a major project in Saudi Arabia.
- Advising an oil & gas company on issues arising from a farm-out agreement over offshore blocks in a South American country.
- Acting for a mining company in a dispute with a service provider.
- Acting for a mining company in a dispute concerning the divestment of a project in Zimbabwe.
- Acting for an oil major in an UNCITRAL arbitration concerning the disposal of downstream assets in Europe.
- Acting for an oil major in a joint venture dispute concerning its downstream operations in an emerging market.
- Advising an oil major on the impact on its operations of changes of law in a sub-Saharan African country.
- Advising an oilfield services company in a dispute concerning equipment installed in a field in the North Sea.
- Acting for a ferry operator in relation to the cancellation of shipbuilding contracts and calls on the shipbuilder's performance security.
- Advising a contractor on various issues relating to the construction of facilities for the Qatar World Cup 2022.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Society of Construction Lawyers - Member
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation - Member
- London Court of International Arbitration - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2000)
- Nottingham Law School (L.P.C.) (1997)
- University of Bristol (LL.B.) (1996)
- University of Poitiers, France (1996)