Philippe Reich is a partner of Baker McKenzie Switzerland based in Zurich.
He serves as head of the Firm's Antitrust, European and International Trade Practice Group in Switzerland. Philippe is a key member of the Firm's International Trade & Commerce and Antitrust & Competition Law Practice Groups.
Philippe is regularly ranked as leader in his field in Who's Who Legal and is a recommended practitioner in Legal 500 and Chambers. In 2022, he was ranked among the top 100 foreign lawyers for India related matters.
Philippe is also the European representative on the steering committee of Baker McKenzie's Global India Practice, chairman of the Swiss-Indian Chamber of Commerce and forms the India Desk of Baker McKenzie in Switzerland.
Philippe is seasoned in Swiss antitrust, Swiss, European and international trade law, particularly export controls, trade sanctions, customs and foreign investments, as well as public regulatory. He also has a solid background in Swiss commercial and corporate law.
He regularly advises clients on antitrust and trade compliance and represents them in merger control, foreign investment as well as export controls and trade sanctions proceedings before the relevant Swiss authorities. Philippe also advises on ESG issues and cross-border investments and represents clients on inbound and outbound projects in India.
- Represents and advises Panalpina in the global investigation (including Swiss proceedings) in respect of an alleged cartel in the freight forwarding sector, and coordinates the global team of legal advisers.
- Represents and advises Estée Lauder in the Swiss investigation in respect of an alleged cartel in the luxury cosmetics and perfumes sector.
- Represents and advises a major international airline in the Swiss investigation in respect of an alleged cartel in the air cargo sector.
- Advises a major international airline on antitrust compliance; represented and advised a major international airline in an abuse of dominance case; and represented and advised Credit Suisse in the Swiss merger control proceeding in respect of the emergency takeover of Swissair.
- Represents and advises a major Swiss news agency in an abuse of dominance case.
- Represents and advises Socar Energy on merger control and competition law issues.
- Advises a major international travel agency on antitrust compliance.
- Advises a major international tobacco manufacturer on antitrust compliance.
- Advises a major international beer brewer on competition law issues.
- Represented and advised Bank Julius Baer in the Swiss merger control proceeding in respect of its acquisition of ING Bank Switzerland; represented and advised Crédit Agricole in the Swiss merger control proceeding in respect of a funds joint venture with BNP Paribas; and advised another major international bank on competition law issues.
- "Notable Practitioner," Competition/Antitrust, Chambers Europe 2018-2022
- "Recommended", GCR 100 2021 - Switzerland
- Swiss Indian Chamber of Commerce - Chairman
- Competition Law Chapter of Zurich Bar Association
- Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht
- Zurich~Switzerland (1998)
- Switzerland (1998)
- College of Europe, Bruges (法学硕士) (1996)
- University of Zurich (Lic. jur.) (1994)
Regular alerts and blogs on relevant topics of his practice.
Co-author, Commentary on article 1 of the Swiss Merger Act, in: Stämpflis Handkommentar, Fusionsgesetz, 2nd Edition, 2015
Co-author, chapter on "Swiss competition and merger control laws," Frankfurter Kommentar Kartellrecht, Verlag Dr. Otto Schmidt, Cologne, 2005 and 2011
Author, Swiss chapter of "Global Merger Notification Handbook," 9th edition, Cameron May, London, 2011
Co-author, "Baker McKenzie commentary on the Federal Civil Procedure Act," Verlag Stämpfli, Berne, 2010
Author, contribution in "Schweizerisches Kartellrecht - an Wendepunkten," Verlag Dike, St. Gall, 2009
Co-author, "Baker & McKenzie commentary on the Swiss Collective Investment Schemes Act," Verlag Stämpfli, Berne, 2007 and 2009