Julia is a tested advocate and has significant commercial and trade litigation experience. She has appeared before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal, the Federal Court, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and a number of administrative tribunals across Canada. She has also counseled companies on sensitive internal investigations which have included cross-border document reviews and multi-jurisdictional legal proceedings.
Additionally, Julia advises domestic and international clients on Canadian lobbying laws and election advertising.
She is a Certified Customs Specialist with the Canadian Society of Customs Brokers, a member of Transparency International Canada’s Legal Committee, and a sessional lecturer at Queen's University, Faculty of Law, where she co-developed Law 396: International Business Crime.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Julia handled the following matters:
Represented Rio Tinto Alcan in a dumping/subsidization investigation hearing before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal relating to silicon metal imported from Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Norway, Kazakhstan, Brazil and Russia (NQ-2017-001) and an expiry review relating to silicon metal from China (RR-2018-003).
Represented a TSXV-listed company in an investigation into violations under the Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act.
Represented POSCO and the Canadian Coalition for Construction Steel in the Canadian International Trade Tribunal Safeguard Inquiry into the Importation of Certain Steel Goods (GC-2018-001).
Represented Fluor Canada in a judicial review before the Federal Court of Appeal of a decision by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal regarding an injury finding on certain fabricated industrial steel components (2020 FCA 58) and the resulting review by the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (NQ-2016-004R).
Advised a Fortune 500 company, not-for-profits, and multinational companies on Canadian lobbying legislation compliance and election advertising laws.
Represented a multi-national corporation in connection with regulatory matters in the Canadian the dairy industry.
Represented a Korean line pipe producer in Normal Value Reviews before the Canada Border Services Agency (LP2 2020 UP2, LP2 2018 UP1).
Represented a TSX listed company before the President of the Canada Border Services Agency to appeal a final determination in a trade verification audit.
Represented the Canadian affiliate of a European multinational in voluntary disclosure proceedings before the Canada Border Services Agency regarding valuation adjustments.
Represented decorative plywood importers in a dumping investigation before the Canada Border Services Agency and the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (NQ-2020-002).
Represented target company shareholders in an investigation into alleged economic sanctions violations.
Represented a Canadian affiliate in a cross-border application for involuntary bankruptcy (2021 ONSC 2310).
Conducted internal investigations for companies regarding complex financial fraud and code of conduct violations.
Represented POSCO in heavy plate dumping investigation preliminary injury inquiry (PI-2020-001).
Represented a Canadian importer in preliminary injury proceedings before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal in Concrete Reinforcing Bar (PI-2020-004).
Represented POSCO to obtain product exclusion requests in the expiry review of Hot Rolled Carbon Steel Plate (RR-2019-001).
- Recipient, David Wells-Leonard Prize in Information Privacy
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Transparency International
- Canadian Society of Customs Brokers (Certified Customs Specialist)
- Ontario~Canada (2014)
- Queen's University (JD) (2013)
- Bader College (Certificate in International Law, First Class Honours) (2011)
- McGill University (M Arch) (2010)
- McGill University (BA, MSc) (2009)
- Co-author, "Canada: Proposed "last sale" rule in customs valuation to increase cost of doing business in Canada", Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, June 2023
- Co-author, "Canada: Supply chain transparency legislation in Canada – new risk for brands for violations of human and labor rights", Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, May 2023
- Author, "White Paper: A National Financial Crime Regulator," Transparency International Canada, November 2022
- Presenter, "2022 Day of Dialogue: Establishing a Financial Crime Agency," Transparency International Canada, November 2022
- Presenter, "International Economic Aspects of Russia’s War Against Ukraine," Canadian Council on International Law, October 2022
- Presenter "Decoupling Great Power Economies: The implementation and enforcement of economic sanctions against Russia," Queen’s University - Faculty of Law, June 2022