Lionel has joined Baker McKenzie as Customs Lead in February 2022. Lionel has 20+ years of experience in the field of Customs, International Trade, Excises & Energy Levy.
Lionel is lecturer at the UIA (Antwerp) & ULG (Liege). He is in charge of the Customs, Excises & International Trade Course at the Solvay Tax MBA.
Lionel focuses mainly on custom transformation initiatives, custom essentials, customs processes optimization, and customs compliance.
He has extensive knowledge and experience in the field of export control and sanctions and in assisting companies to review and manage their export control compliance monitoring system. Lionel also has major knowledge of trade management, compliance and risk technical solutions (e.g. SAP GTS, MIC, Oracle GTM, Conex, Descartes, Streamsoftware).
Representative Legal Matters
- Project leader on large tax aligned supply-chain optimisation projects (including: Global Trade compliance software implementation for pan-European activities).
- Project leader on the setting-up of a EU HUB structure that will (pre-) assemble parts of a LNG manufacturing plant and which will eventually be constructed in Russia.
- Project leader on Global Classification projects for Heavy Machinery Industries (200K parts).
- Engagement Leader on Global OEM Optimization project for Heavy machinery industry.
- Engagement Leader in charge of Global Trade Compliance (incl. Export Control) and Customs HUB analysis to determine the most favourable countries for implementing GDC's (Global Distribution Center) & RDC's (Regional Distribution Center).
- Customs Project Lead on the Implementation of an OPR & bonded warehouse customs structure for a company based in the Middle-East to optimize the duty savings of the Supply-Chain scheme
- Engagement Manager of the implementation of the AEO certification and setting up Green Lanes at Belgian Customs Authorities (1 V2 year project).
- "Cash-flow optimisation" assignments in various sectors including customs value and working capital optimization and broker rationalizations projects.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lionel is lecturer at the UIA (Antwerp) & ULG (Liege). He is in charge of the Customs, Excises & International Trade Course at the Solvay Tax MBA.
- U.I.A. (Logistics, Customs & International Trade Specialization) (2002)
- ICHEC Brussels Management School (Master in Business & Finance Administration)