Michael Van Acker is a partner in the Brussels office. He has a broad background in international finance, with a particular focus on syndicated loans, acquisition finance, real estate finance and project finance. He is also seasoned in advising on financial restructurings. Michael has represented a wide range of lenders, sponsors and borrowers on domestic and cross-border transactions involving major projects, leveraged buy-outs and property redevelopments, among others.
Mr. Van Acker has extensive experience in leveraged finance (with a focus on acquisition finance), real estate finance, other types of (mainly) cross-border financings as well as financial restructuring matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised ING Belgium and KBC Bank as arrangers of the EUR141 million senior financing of the leveraged buy-out of Euronext-listed Xeikon by Bencis Capital Partners.
- Advised BNP Paribas Fortis as arranger in connection with the EUR2 billion financing of the design, construction and maintenance of 165 schools in the Flemish region.
- Advised ING Bank, ING Belgium, BNP Paribas Fortis and KBC Bank on the EUR90 million refinancing of the Studio 100 group.
- Advised IG Watteeuw International on the EUR210 million refinancing of the IG Watteeuw group, including the partial refinancing of the acquisition of the VCST group.
- Advised BNP Paribas Fortis as coordinator of a EUR400 million plus multicurrency revolving loan facility for Agfa-Gevaert.
- Advised KBC Bank as lead arranger of the EUR224 million financing of the redevelopment of the Rijksadministratief Centrum in Brussels.
- Advised Nyrstar in connection with the ca. EUR79 million forward sale of silver to finance the redevelopment of Nyrstar's plant in Port Pirie, Australia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- European Association of Banking and Finance Lawyers - Member
- Vlaams Pleitgenootschap - Member
- Brussels Bar Association - Member
- Brussels~Belgium (2002)
- Antwerp~Belgium (2000)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (Post Graduate Degree) (2000)
- University of Antwerp (Law Degree) (1999)
- University of Trento (Erasmus) (1998)