Ricardo joined the firm in 2003 as part of the Disputes Resolution practice group. In 2008 he joined the corporate law practice group, mainly focusing on structured credit transactions, mergers and acquisitions and private equity fund formation.
In 2015 he assumed the position of director of the banking and finance practice of Baker McKenzie in Colombia.
Ricardo was also visiting attorney at the Baker McKenzie Chicago office during the second semester 2015.
He has advised clients such as PayPal, Bank of Nova Scotia, Brookfield Asset Management, Altra Investments and Scotiabank Colpatria and Bonus Banca de Inversión.
He is currently a member of the Steering Committees of the Banking and Capital Markets practice groups and of the Private Equity Subcommittee of Baker Mckenzie for Latin America.
Ricardo’s main practice areas are structured finance (mainly project finance and acquisition finance), debt capital markets, private equity funds formation and financial regulation.
In terms of acquisition financing, he has advised in operations exceeding USD 1.5 billion in the last two years.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised an international group of financial services in obtaining a license to handle the securities trading system in Colombia through their local affiliate.
Advised The Bank of Nova Scotia and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation in a loan for USD 750 million to finance the acquisition of a controlling interest in Isagen by Brookfield Renewable Energy.
Advised J.P. Morgan in the financing of an acquisition of a majority interest in a Colombian private equity fund.
Advised Gas Natural S.A. E.S.P. in the authorization of a bonds issuance for COP 500 billion (approximately USD 150 million).
- Advised Bonus Banca de Inversión as arranger of a credit facility COP 600 billion (approximately USD 200 million) granted by Bancolombia S.A. and the FDN in favor of the District Infrastructure Agency of Barranquilla.
- Named Associate to Watch in Baking & Finance, Chambers Latin America 2019
- Named Associate to Watch in Mergers & Acquisitions, Chambers Latin America, 2014-2015
- Colombia (2004)
- University of Chicago Law School (LLM) (2010)
- Universidad de Los Andes (Graduate Studies Banking and Financial Law) (2007)
- Universidad Sergio Arboleda (Law Degree) (2004)