Martin Tam is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Financial Services Practice Group. He also serves as co-chair of the Asia Pacific Insurance Group.
Martin's practice focuses on insurance, investment funds and pension law. He has been involved in a wide range of insurance transactional, advisory and product development work, including insurance M&A, corporate restructuring, distribution and bancassurance, authorizations, preparation of policy documentation and advising clients on the regulatory environment in Hong Kong and China. He also advises clients on matters relating to insurance intermediaries and other regulatory and compliance matters.
Martin is actively involved in assisting clients in structuring and setting up various authorized investment funds in Hong Kong, including guaranteed funds, ETFs and other specialized funds. He has also been involved in various types of pension work, including assisting clients in the establishment and structuring of various mandatory provident fund schemes and occupational retirement schemes and advising clients on different regulatory and compliance matters relating to MPF and ORSO.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Swiss Re on the restructuring of its Hong Kong reinsurance business, including the transfer of its long term and general insurance portfolios to a newly established branch in Hong Kong.
- Advised MetLife on the disposal of its insurance business in Hong Kong.
- Advised a Canadian based insurer on the acquisition of certain insurance and pension businesses of another Hong Kong based insurer.
- Advised a Canadian based insurer on its investment in a digital insurer start-up in Hong Kong.
- Advised AXA on the disposal of its pension business in Hong Kong.
- Advised Tian Ping Auto Insurance on the sale of its shareholding interests to AXA, followed by a merger of Tian Ping and AXA China.
- Advised AXA on its post-acquisition work in respect of its acquisition of HSBC's Property and Casualty business in Hong Kong.
- Advised a major client on the development of an immediate annuity plan.
- Advised a major client on the development of a deferred annuity plan.
- Advised the Government/FHB on VHIS drafting of a Certified Plan Policy Template and Family Policy.
- Advised insurers and reinsurers on reinsurance treaties.
- Advised insurers on the development of various life and general insurance policies.
- Advised a major US insurer on the acquisition of the Hong Kong insurance business of another international insurer.
- Advised an insurance client on the acquisition of the life insurance portfolio of other insurer.
- Advised insurers on the collaboration with their partners in insurance products distribution.
- Advised a US based insurer on the domestication of its Hong Kong business and transfer of insurance portfolios.
- Advised various insurers on their bancassurance agreements with distribution banks.
- Advised major banks in Hong Kong on their bancassurance projects with a number of leading insurers.
- Advised a major US based insurer on the distribution of products in major Asian jurisdictions and the related reinsurance arrangements.
- Band 1 Lawyer (Insurance, China/Hong Kong), Chambers Greater China Region, 2022
- Leading Individual (Insurance, Hong Kong), Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018-2022
- Leading Lawyer (Investment Funds, Hong Kong), IFLR1000, 2013-2022
- Acritas Star Lawyer (Hong Kong), 2021
- Band 1 Lawyer (Insurance, China/Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2010-2021
- In-House Community Commended External Counsel (Hong Kong), In-house Community Counsel of the Year Awards, 2016-2018
- A List Award, China Business Law Journal, 2016
- Noted Practitioner (Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory (International Firms), China/Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2015-2016
- Leading Lawyer (Investment Funds (International Firms), China/Hong Kong), Chambers Global, 2014-2015
- Leading Lawyer (Investment Funds (International Firms), China/Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2011-2015
- Asia Best 75 Lawyers, Asian Legal Business, 2013
- Recommended Lawyer (Insurance: transactional and regulatory, Hong Kong), PLC Which Lawyer?, 2010-2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Industry Advisory Committee on Long Term Business, Insurance Authority - Member
- Retirement Schemes Committee, Hong Kong Law Society - Member
- England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (1999)
- Hong Kong (1998)
- The University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL.) (1996)
- University of London (LL.B.) (1995)
- The University of Hong Kong (B.Sc.) (1986)