Martin Tam is knowledgeable in the areas of insurance law and financial services. Chambers Asia Pacific and PLC Which lawyer? recommend him as a leading practitioner in insurance law. Mr. Tam is admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong.
Mr. Tam is well-versed on matters regarding insurance and pension law and investment funds. He is also involved in authorizations, restructurings and acquisitions of insurance companies in Hong Kong. Mr. Tam advises clients on issues relating to insurance policies and the regulatory environment in the PRC, as well as on insurance intermediaries and other regulatory and compliance matters. Mr. Tam negotiates various bancassurance and other commercial agreements. In addition, he assists clients in various pension transactions, such as establishing and restructuring mandatory provident fund schemes and occupational retirement schemes. He is also seasoned in the legal aspects of MPF and ORSO interfaces.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a major insurer in restructuring its operations in Hong Kong and other Asian jurisdictions.
- Advising a major US insurer on the acquisition of the Hong Kong insurance business of another international insurer.
- Advising an insurance client in the acquisition of the life insurance portfolio of other insurer.
- Advising a US-based insurer on the domestication of its Hong Kong business and transfer of insurance portfolios.
- Advising a major bank in Hong Kong on its bancassurance project with a number of leading insurers.
- Advising insurers of intermediaries on insurance regulatory matters.
- Advising major banks in Hong Kong on the premium financing arrangement.
- Advising various insurers and trustees on the establishment of MPF schemes and subsequent scheme restructuring.
- England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (1999)
- Hong Kong (1998)
- The University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL.) (1996)
- University of London (LL.B.) (1995)
- The University of Hong Kong (B.Sc.) (1986)