Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted European airline in overcoming statutory and regulatory hurdles to enable resumption of Iran route following the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action with Iran, including advocating regulatory changes and licensing policy to US regulators.
- For private equity fund, assessed and mitigated sanctions compliance and political risks associated with a series of acquisitions in the aviation services sector, including conducting cross-border acquisition due diligence, obtaining time-critical licenses and conducting a pre-closing compliance investigation and voluntary disclosure alongside seller's counsel.
- Counseled financial technology and travel technology companies on compliance strategies for capitalizing on new opportunities under relaxed Cuba sanctions program.
- Conducted multi-jurisdictional risk assessment and compliance due diligence and advised on exit strategies for consumer goods manufacturer in context of increasing international sanctions against North Korea.
- Represented numerous clients before the US Departments of Commerce and Treasury in export control and trade/financial sanctions matters, including voluntary self-disclosures, responding to administrative subpoenas and other enforcement inquiries, licensing, classification requests, advisory opinions, and regulatory interpretations.
- Counseled international hospitality company on compliance risk assessments and compliance planning in preparation for corporate restructuring and IPO.
- Conducted deemed export compliance review for major telecommunications company.
- Advised on multiple encryption technical reviews under the US Export Administration Regulations for various software and IT companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - International Law Section
- State Bar of California - International Law Section
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Women in International Trade - Member, Northern California
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2013)
- California~United States (2002)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1998)
- College of Law at London (1996)
- Hosei University, Tokyo (1994)
- Cambridge University (M.A. Hons) (1994)
- Cambridge University (B.A. Hons, First Class, Oriental Studies) (1992)
- Washington, DC
Presenter, “Immigration and Export Control: Renewed Focus of DHS,“ California State Bar, 2011
Presenter, "Tech Talk", 2015, 2016
Co-author, Chapter on “International Trade," The Encyclopedia of Information Technology Law, Sweet & Maxwell Ltd., 2005
Contributor, “Cross-Border Transactions Handbook,“ Baker McKenzie LLP, 2008
Presenter, “EU Export Controls and Trade Sanctions,“ Export Control Coordinators Association of National Laboratories, 2006