Jorge Luis Ruiz
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C.
Jorge joined Baker McKenzie in 1986. He is a Principal in the Mexico City and Juárez offices. He is currently the head of the Firm’s National Transactional Practice Group in Mexico. He is the Commercial Notary Public (Corredor Público) Number Four for the State of Chihuahua. He was an associate professor at the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey from 1986 to 1992 and associate visiting professor at its graduate programs in 1995 and 1996. He was Chairman of the Economic Development Council (DECJ) in Ciudad Juárez from 2006 to 2008 and of the Council for the Economic Development for the State of Chihuahua (CODECH) in 2008. He is also a former Chairman of the Mexican Institute of Financial Executives (IMEF).
His 34-plus-year practice focuses on M&A and corporate law. He is well versed and experienced on issues and matters related to foreign investment, banking, finance, real estate and EMI. He has a strong background on advice in the creation, development, operation and restructuring of commercial entities in various fields of industry including the mining and automotive industry. His practice also focuses on a wide array of general commercial issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated in several acquisitions, sales, mergers and restructures of Mexican entities in the automotive, transportation, mining, healthcare, hotel and hospitality and real estate sectors, such as Unilever, GE, Navistar, Valeo, Avnet, Cardinal Healthcare and Sumitomo.
- Advised several clients on foreign investments matters in Mexico.
- Represented several clients regarding their establishment in Mexico, particularly in the automotive, electronics, electric, healthcare and the mining industries.
- Developed several green field projects for several multinationals all over Mexico, including Becton Dickinson, Navistar, Fortune Brands, Hubbell Incorporated, Minefinders and Alamos Gold.
- Represented several multinationals, including General Electric, in finance and real estate related matters.
- Provided employment and labor advice and coordinated litigation in this subject as well as in commercial disputes to several multinationals.
- Appraised several assets including real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, trademarks, ongoing concerns, gas distribution networks and vessels.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico A.P. - Member
- Mexican National Association of Corporate Counsels - Member
- The Borderplex Alliance - Board Member
- El Paso Regional Economic Development Corporation - Member
- Desarrollo Económico de Cd. Juárez, A.C. - Board Member and past Chairman
- Mexico (1985)
- Columbia Law School, United States (LLM) (1991)
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (LD, Honors) (1985)
- Mexico City
Has written several articles and bulletins for the Firm including the Mexican section of Secured Transactions in Latin America. He was also responsible for the preparation of the Mexican chapter on foreign investment in the CCH Reference Guide. He has been a speaker in several seminars and conferences in Mexico and abroad.
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.