Jorge L. Ruiz joined Baker McKenzie in 1986. He is a partner in the Juarez office. He is currently the head of the Firm’s National Corporate – Mergers & Acquisitions Group. Jorge is the Commercial Notary Public (Corredor Público) Number Four for the State of Chihuahua. He was an associate professor at the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey from 1986 to1992 and associate visiting professor at its graduate programs in 1995 and 1996. He was Chairman of the Economic Development Council (DECJ) in Ciudad Juarez from 2006 to 2008 and of the Council for the Economic Development for the State of Chihuahua (CODECH) in 2008. He was also Chairman of the Mexican Institute of Financial Executives (IMEF).
Representative Legal Matters
- Participated in several acquisitions, sales, mergers and restructures of Mexican entities in the automotive, transportation, mining, healthcare, hotel & hospitality and real estate sectors, such as Navistar, Valeo, Avnet, Cardinal Healthcare and Sumitomo.
- Advised several clients on foreign investments matters in Mexico.
- Represented several clients regarding their establishment in Mexico, particularly in the automotive, electronics, electric, healthcare and the mining industries.
- Developed several green field projects for several multinationals all over Mexico, including Navistar, Fortune Brands, Hubbell Incorporated and Minefinders.
- Represented several multinationals, including General Electric, in finance and real estate related matters.
- Provided employment and labor advice and coordinated litigation in this subject as well as in commercial disputes to several multinationals.
- Appraised several assets including real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, trademarks, ongoing concerns, gas distribution networks and vessels.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico A.P. - Member
- Mexican National Association of Corporate Counsels - Member
- Paso del Norte Group - Member
- El Paso Regional Economic Development Corporation - Member
- Desarrollo Económico de Cd. Juárez, A.C. - Member
- Mexico (1985)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.) (1991)
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (LD Honors) (1985)
- Mexico City