Michael Rubinger is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Intellectual Property Tech group. He regularly advises clients in connection with IP transactions and/or litigation, and assists clients with managing and enforcing their IP portfolios.
Mike was recently recognized as a 2022 Rising Star in IPStars by Managing IP. He is on the Executive Committees for the Intellectual Property group of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) and is co-chairing the Transactional IP subcommittee. Additionally, Mike is on the CBA's Legal Futures subcommittee, working with the team to maintain the Canadian legal profession in the face of change. Prior to law school, Mike received a Masters of Management of Innovation from the University of Toronto and a Bachelors of Engineering Science (Mechanical Engineering) degree from the University of Western Ontario.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented one of North America's largest freight railroad networks in a patent infringement suit on three patents pertaining to online e-commerce customer facing tools.
- Represented a global media monitoring service in a copyright infringement action.
- Assisted with preparing prospectus forms for multiple companies in the healthcare industry.
- Assisted in the acquisition of Avigilon Corporation by Motorola Solutions for over USD 1 Billion.
- Advised in the acquisition of Big Blue Bubble Inc. and Piranha Games Inc. by Enad Global 7.
- Advised Aspyr Media and Embracer Group on the acquisition of IdeaSpark Labs Inc. d.b.a. as Beamdog.
- Advised Accenture on the acquisition of Eclipse Automation, a provider of customized manufacturing automation and robotics solutions.
- Providing patent review assistance on the corporate restructuring of a global pharmaceutical and consumer healthcare company.
- Managing a global patent recordal project of 6000+ patents in 50+ jurisdictions.
- Coordinating the assignment of patents in over 15 jurisdictions following the acquisition of assets from bankruptcy.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association - Executive Committee, Intellectual Property - Transaction IP co-chair
- Canadian Bar Association - Legal Futures Subcommittee
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Licensing Executive Society - Young Members Congress
- Ontario Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates' Society - Member
- Ontario~Canada (2017)
- University of Western Ontario (JD) (2016)
- University of Toronto (Master of Management of Innovation) (2011)
- University of Western Ontario (Technological Entrepreneurship Certificate) (2010)
- University of Western Ontario (BESc Mechanical Engineering) (2010)