Mathieu Raas is a senior associate in the Dispute Resolution Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Amsterdam. He advises and represents Dutch and foreign multinationals in contentious commercial and corporate matters and partners with them in devising strategies for enforcement or settlements. He assists in drafting business-to-business and business-to-consumer contracts.
Mathieu has significant experience in international arbitration (e.g., ICC, UNCITRAL and NAI as well as arbitrations seated abroad) and litigation before the Dutch courts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Post-M&A and joint venture disputes
- International distribution, agency, franchise and sales disputes
- Arbitration and arbitration related court proceedings
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Bar Association
- Dutch Corporate Litigation Association
- Dutch Society for Procedural Law
- Netherlands Arbitration Institute
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2009)
- Grotius Academy (cum laude) (2016)
- University of Nijmegen (cum laude) (2008)
- Rene Descartes University - Paris V (2006)
- Author, "A second term for setting aside proceedings in the Netherlands," Netherlands Arbitration Journal (TvA), August 2019
- Author, "Enforcement strategies considered in Amsterdam," Global Arbitration Review, November 2018
- Author, Dutch chapters of “The International Arbitration Yearbook,” Baker McKenzie, 2015-2010, 2016-2017, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019
- Author, "Termination of fixed term agreements," Dutch Journal for Property Law (Maandblad voor Vermogensrecht), November 2014
- Author, Dutch chapter of "The International Arbitration Review," Law Business Research, 2013
- Author, "Franchise prognoses according to the Street-One judgment: liability in between the Paalman/Lampenier judgment and the Netherlands Franchise Code?" Dutch Journal for Contracting (Contracteren), September 2017
- Author, "Lessons for lawyers and notaries acting for a public partnership company,” Dutch Journal for the Notary (JBN), May 2018
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.