Sebastian Quintero is an associate in the Firm's Bogota office. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked for a Bogota-based law firm, handling domestic litigation cases related to torts, government liability and insurance law. Sebastian was seconded to Baker McKenzie's London office in 2015, focusing on international arbitration and regulatory compliance. He served his traineeship at the Colombian Supreme Court of Justice. He is an official English/Spanish translator for the Colombian government.
Sebastian focuses his practice on international arbitration, domestic civil and commercial litigation, pre-litigation negotiations and settlement agreements, insolvency proceedings and real estate law. He has been part of legal teams representing different major transnational companies within international arbitrations in the infrastructure sector, and foreign investors in complex acquisitions of domestic companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully represented one of the largest global tire manufacturers in a major breach of contract commercial dispute before Colombian courts.
- Successfully represented a major pharmaceutical company within two constitutional actions before Colombian courts in the recall of products for the alleged threat to consumers' health.
- Part of the legal team representing a major Chinese consortium in international arbitration proceedings against a state-owned company regarding the breach of an EPC contract for the design, construction and operation of a thermal power plant in Colombia.
- Part of the legal team representing several infrastructure companies from different jurisdictions (BVI, Colombia, Panamá, UK), which were respondents in an ICC international arbitration seated in Houston, in an EPC contract for a power plant project in Panama.
- Part of the legal team advising a Venezuelan individual on a civil claim within a criminal proceeding before Swiss courts for the alleged breach of a multimillion settlement agreement.
- Part of the legal team that successfully defended the social club "El Nogal" before Colombian courts regarding several lawsuits filed by victims of the terrorist attack against the club on February 2003.
- Colombia (2009)
- Queen Mary, University of London (LLM International and Comparative Dispute Resolution with merits) (2015)
- Universidad Externado de Colombia (Specialization Civil Liability) (2011)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (JD) (2009)
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S., is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein