Sebastian Quintero has been an associate in the Firm's Bogota office since 2011. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked for a Bogota-based law firm handling domestic litigation in tort and government liability cases. Sebastian was seconded to Baker McKenzie's London office in 2015, where he focused on international arbitration and regulatory compliance. He served his traineeship at the Colombian Supreme Court of Justice. He is a certified conciliator at the Conciliation Center of the Merchants National Federation (Fenalco) and is an official English/Spanish translator for the Colombian government.
Sebastian’s practice focuses on domestic civil and commercial litigation, international commercial arbitration, pre-litigation negotiations and settlement agreements, insolvency proceedings and real estate law. He has been part of legal teams representing different major transnational companies within international arbitrations in the infrastructure sector, and foreign investors in complex acquisitions of domestic companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully represented a multinational company in the oil sector in commercial agency proceedings brought by a former distributor for an amount of approximately USD 1.500.000 million.
- Successfully represented one of the largest global tire manufacturers in a major breach of contract commercial dispute before Colombian courts for an amount of approximately USD 500.000.
- Successfully represented a major pharmaceutical company within two constitutional actions before Colombian courts in the recall of products for the alleged threat to consumers' health.
- Part of the legal team representing a major Chinese consortium in international arbitration proceedings against a state-owned company regarding the breach of an EPC contract for the design, construction and operation of a thermal power plant in Colombia, for an amount of approximately USD 200.000.000 million.
- Part of the legal team representing a major public utilities company in an ICC international arbitration for the breach of a civil works contract, for an amount of approximately USD 25.000.000 million.
- Colombia (2009)
- Queen Mary, University of London (LLM International and Comparative Dispute Resolution, with merits) (2015)
- Universidad Externado de Colombia (Specialization Civil Liability) (2011)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana (JD) (2009)
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S., is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein