John Pirie leads the Firm's Litigation Group in Canada. He acts for clients in complex business disputes.
Widely recognized as a leading trial, arbitration and appellate lawyer, John has a long record of success acting for both foreign and domestic parties. John has acted for corporations, individuals, banks, a securities regulator, a stock exchange, investors and a range of professionals.
John's practice includes a significant civil fraud and financial recovery component. He has been counsel on array of cases in this area. John has deep experience in recovery strategies and emergency relief measures including Mareva injunctions, bankruptcies and receiverships, Anton Piller orders, asset tracing, fraudulent conveyance proceedings and the enforcement of foreign judgments / awards.
A related focus of John's practice is class action work, where he has acted on a variety of cases including those that allege fraud, misrepresentation, securities law violations, competition law violations and consumer matters.
John has been recognized by Chambers Global, in L'Expert's Annual Guide to the Leading Canada/US Cross-Border Litigation Lawyers, and in the Legal 500 for Dispute Resolution. John is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America.
John has acted on high profile matters including a case in the Supreme Court of Canada ranked by Lexpert Magazine as Canada's #1 annual business decision. He has previously been named one of Lexpert's Rising Stars, a "Top 40" award that recognizes Canadian lawyers with an outstanding record of success.
John has been a moot court judge in Osgoode Hall Law School's Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, and he has been an instructor carrying out the National Institute of Trial Advocacy's training programs. John has also appeared as a lecturer in Osgoode's Graduate Civil Litigation Program.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counsel for a multinational entity named in the Sino-Forest securities fraud class action, and in related regulatory, and global arbitration proceedings.
- Counsel for the Ontario Securities Commission pursuing significant asset recoveries in Canada and abroad.
- Counsel for HSBC Bank Canada on numerous matters, often fraud related. Obtained a significant judgment and tracing orders at trial against borrowers for fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Counsel for an automotive company defending allegations of breach of restrictive covenants in a purchase agreement at trial. Obtained trial judgment dismissing action with costs.
- Counsel for an institutional shareholder and investors in stock manipulation proceedings against an agency of the Swedish Government.
- Counsel for a major US-based railway in an arbitration with a competitor concerning operational rights and revenues from tracks between the US border and parts of Canada.
- Counsel for a global oil company in an arbitration against an engineering firm concerning failed oil wells.
- Counsel for the TMX Group / Shorcan in complex proceedings involving investor allegations.
- Counsel for VitaQuest International and Nu-Life Corporation: defended, on appeal, a substantial claim that had been made by a business partner alleging fraud and breach of contract.
- Counsel for the Waldock Group in a landmark Ponzi scheme investor case and in related regulatory proceedings.
- Ontario~Canada (1998)
- Osgoode Hall Law School (LLB) (1995)
- University of Western Ontario (BA Political Science Honours) (1992)
- Co-author, Canada Chapter, The Asset Tracing and Recovery Review (Eighth Edition), The Law Reviews, 2020
- Co-author, Chapter for Canada Law and Practice, Enforcement of Judgments, Chambers Global Practice Guide, 2020
- Co-author, Chamber for Canada Law and Practice, White-Collar Crime, Chambers Global Practice Guide, 2020
- Co-author, Canada Chapter, The Asset Tracing and Recovery Review (Seventh Edition), The Law Reviews, 2019
- Co-author, Chapter for Canada Law and Practice, Enforcement of Judgments, Chambers Global Practice Guide, 2019