Serhiy Piontkovsky heads the Firm’s Energy, Chemicals, Mining and Infrastructure and Real Estate practice groups. Mr. Piontkovsky is highly recommended by Chambers Europe, IFLR, Legal 500, and is listed among the top five practitioners for land-related law by Ukrainian Law Firms: A Handbook for Foreign Clients. Mr. Piontkovsky is highly recommended by PLC Which lawyer? for matters related to corporate real estate.
Mr. Piontkovsky is heavily involved in major privatizations projects held in Ukraine within the steel, mining, energy and industrial sectors. He has acted in numerous mergers and acquisitions transactions, including acquisition of Ukrainian enterprises in privatization process — particularly those via commercial tenders organized by the State Property Fund. In the real estate sector, Mr. Piontkovsky represents major international hotel chains, developers, construction companies, investment funds, embassies, religious organizations and private investors on various Ukrainian law issues related to property pre-lease and long-term leasing, acquisition of land lease rights, construction, design and letting.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Mittal Steel in the acquisition through a privatization tender of a 93.02 percent stake in Kryvorizhstal — the largest Ukrainian and one of the few remaining vertically integrated steel mills in Europe — for USD4.8 billion. This is the largest privatization project in Ukraine to date.
- Advised Yaroslaviv Val, a Kyiv-based leading real estate developer, on various hotel management matters of a 5-star hotel property to be operated by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.
- Advised Gooioord B.V., the Dutch developer, on the disposal of a commercial property portfolio in Kyiv with the total area of 14,000 sq m.
- Advising Aerosvit, a major Ukrainian airline, in connection with the proposed construction of a terminal in Boryspil airport, including land lease and property management agreements.
- Advising La Société Générale Immobilière on development of a shopping mall in Kyiv including various issues of the construction process and obtaining lease rights to state owned lands.
- Represented the selling shareholders in connection with sale of Globus Shopping Mall located in the main square of the capital, the most prestigious place in the country.
- Advising a joint-stock commercial Bank Forum, its shareholders and financial advisor with respect to sale of 60 percent + 1 share to Commerzbank, Germany’s second largest bank.
- New York~United States (1999)
- Ukraine (1992)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (1999)
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations (J.D.) (1992)
Baker & McKenzie - CIS, Limited is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.