Serhiy Piontkovsky is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Kyiv office, where he heads the Firm's Energy, Chemicals, Mining and Infrastructure and Real Estate practice groups. Serhiy is highly recommended by Chambers Europe and The Legal 500 and is listed as the "Market Authority for Real Estate, Construction, Land and Energy & Natural Resources" by "Ukrainian Law Firms: A Handbook for Foreign Clients."
Serhiy is heavily involved in major privatization projects in Ukraine within the steel, mining, energy and industrial sectors. He has acted in numerous M&A transactions, including the acquisition of Ukrainian enterprises in the privatization process, particularly those via commercial tenders organized by the State Property Fund. In the real estate sector, Serhiy represents major international hotel chains, developers, construction companies, investment funds, embassies, religious organizations and private investors on various Ukrainian law issues related to property pre-lease and long-term leasing, acquisition of land lease rights, construction, design and letting.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the World Bank and assisted the Ukrainian Ministry of Ecology in its task to develop the primary and secondary legislation relevant to the implementation of Ukraine's national MRV framework (the National Legislation Package (NLP)), including monitoring and reporting of GHG emissions data, procedures of accreditation of verifiers and verification of GHG emission reports.
- Advised the State Property Fund of Ukraine on privatization of 78.289% of shares in Centrenergo, one of the largest Ukrainian power-generation companies.
- Advised Ukrenergo, one of the biggest state-owned Ukrainian power companies, on implementing its corporate governance structure to ensure it aligns with the new state policy of property management.
- Represented ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih in the course of an anti-dumping investigation on imports of carbon and alloyed steel rods from Russia, Belarus and Moldova.
- Represented Mittal Steel in the acquisition through a privatization tender of a 93.02% stake in Kryvorizhstal — the largest Ukrainian and one of the few remaining vertically integrated steel mills in Europe — for USD 4.8 billion. This is the largest privatization project in Ukraine to date.
- Represented Monsanto, which has now become a part of Bayer group, on a seeds processing facility construction project in Ukraine. This seed processing facility is the largest of its kind in Ukraine.
- Advised ESTA Holding, real estate arm of SCM Group, in connection with the acquisition of an office building in Kyiv, Ukraine known as "Podil Plaza."
- Advised Yaroslaviv Val, a Kyiv-based leading real estate developer, on various hotel management matters regarding a 5-star hotel property to be operated by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.
- Advised Gooioord B.V., the Dutch developer, on the disposal of a commercial property portfolio in Kyiv with a total area of 14,000 square meters.
- Advised a major Ukrainian airline in connection with the proposed construction of a terminal at Boryspil airport, including land lease and property management agreements.
- Band 1 lawyer in Real Estate in Ukraine, Chambers Europe
- Leading lawyer in Real Estate and Construction, The Legal 500 EMEA
- Authority in Real Estate, Ukrainian Law Firms. A Handbook for Foreign Clients
- Leading lawyer in Energy & Natural Resources, Chambers Europe
- Authority in Energy & Natural Resources, Ukrainian Law Firms. A Handbook for Foreign Clients
- New York~United States (1999)
- Ukraine (1992)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (1999)
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations (J.D.) (1992)
Baker McKenzie Ukraine B.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.