Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in November 2018, Joanna served as a judge in Taipei District Court (2000-2005 and 2008-2011), Xinbei District Court (2005-2008) and the Intellectual Property Court (2011-2014), where she gained extensive experience in various types of civil, commercial, criminal and intellectual property (including patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets) cases. She was also formerly in the specialized construction tribunal during her service in Taipei District Court.
Joanna worked as a research judge in the Judicial Yuan from 2014 to 2017, participating in the discussions and negotiations on numerous amendments to various laws on behalf of the Judicial Yuan, with a focus on legislation concerning economic affairs, antitrust, intellectual property, finance, telecommunications as well as health and welfare.
She also focuses on data protection law and GDPR, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E).
Representative Legal Matters
Acted for a global leading IC design company in a lawsuit against its former employee, and helped the client get a preliminary injunction.
Acted for a global leading semiconductor company in an administrative lawsuit.
Acted for a renowned hotel management company in a lawsuit to revoke arbitral award.
Acted for a renowned bank in a civil lawsuit against another banks.
Acted for a renowned technological company in a lawsuit against its former employee.
Acted for a renowned food company in a lawsuit about debt dispute.
Provided legal opinion on antitrust issues of the license agreement for a world renowned Japanese cultural and creative company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Taipei~Taiwan (1997)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (2007)
- National Taiwan University (LL.M.) (2003)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1997)
- A Study on Copyright Levy- Beginning with the Relationship Between Private Copying and Fair Use (National Taiwan University, Master’s Thesis)
- A Study on High-tech Intellectual Property Litigation- with a Focus on the Proceedings of the Collection and Investigation of Evidence (The Judicial Yuan Study Report)