Hann-jing (Joanna) Ouyang
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in November 2018, Joanna served as a judge in Taipei District Court, Xinbei District Court and the Intellectual Property Court, respectively, where she gained extensive experiences in various types of civil, commercial and intellectual property cases.
She also worked as a research judge in the Judicial Yuan from 2014 to 2017, participating in the discussions and negotiations on numerous amendments to various laws on behalf of the Judicial Yuan, with a focus on legislation concerning finance, economic affairs, antitrust, intellectual property, telecommunications as well as health and welfare.
With her extensive litigation experiences and exceptional skills in strategy planning, argument and negotiation, she has many times succeeded in securing a favorable outcome for clients since she joined the Firm.
She also focuses on data protection law and GDPR, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E).
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted in the appellate court for a world-renowned luxury brand in a trademark parody case, and successfully persuaded the court to reverse the lower court judgment (as well as differ from all previous unfavorable decisions made by authorities in the criminal proceedings), and not only rule in favor of our client, but also unprecedentedly grant our claim to order publication of excerpt of court judgment in up to three newspapers.
- Engaged by a renowned international bank to deal with cross-border disputes in the amount of nearly USD 200 million.
- Acted in the appellate court for a world-renowned luxury brand in a commercial dispute, and successfully persuaded the court to reverse the lower court judgment and obtained a judgment fully in favor of the client.
- Acted in the appellate court for a renowned Taiwanese bank in a civil lawsuit regarding a dispute worth nearly NTD 500 million, and successfully persuaded the court to reverse a substantial part of the lower court judgment.
- Represented an energy company to appeal to the Supreme Court against an unfavorable judgment in the amount of NTD 500 million, and successfully persuaded the Supreme Court to reverse and remand the judgment with grounds favorable to our client.
- Acted in the appellate court for a steel trader, and successfully persuaded the court to reverse the lower court judgment and helped our client retrieve the scammed funds.
- Acted for a tech company in a trade secret misappropriation case, and successfully persuaded the court to not only grant our motion to perpetuate evidence, but also conduct it in a rare way of "disk mirroring" the laptop of the former employee so as to recover deleted files.
- Acted for a global leading technology company in a non-compete lawsuit against its former employee, and helped get a preliminary injunction within time shorter than average, and later on a complete success in the main lawsuit.
- Act for a Japanese technology company in an antitrust administrative lawsuit regarding concerted actions.
- Draft or review various licensing agreements or IP-related agreements for biotech companies, drug companies, cultural and creative companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- Member of the Intellectual Property Committee of the Taiwan Bar Association
- Member of the Patent Examination Quality Advisory Committee of the Taiwan Intellectual Property Office, MoEA
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Taipei~Taiwan (1997)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (2007)
- National Taiwan University (LL.M.) (2003)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1997)
- A Study on Copyright Levy- Beginning with the Relationship Between Private Copying and Fair Use (National Taiwan University, Master’s Thesis)
- A Study on High-tech Intellectual Property Litigation- with a Focus on the Proceedings of the Collection and Investigation of Evidence (The Judicial Yuan Study Report)