Rob is an associate in the International Commercial & Trade Practice Group in Baker McKenzie's San Francisco office. He assists multinational companies on various aspects of US trade law, particularly OFAC sanctions and export control.
Before joining the Firm, Rob interned with the US Department of Commerce, advising middle- and low-income countries on commercial laws and development, and worked as an open-source intelligence contractor with the Department of Defense. Rob graduated from UCLA School of Law, where he was the editor-in-chief of the UCLA Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law for three volumes.
Rob assists multinational companies on OFAC sanctions, export controls, and other trade laws in the context of compliance, licensing, internal investigations, mergers and acquisitions, government disclosures, and enforcement actions.
He has experience assisting clients navigate sanctions and export control in the following sectors: semiconductor design and manufacturing, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, consumer goods, and financial services. Rob has also assisted start-ups and medium-sized businesses encountering OFAC sanctions and export controls for the first time.
Rob's pro bono practice includes providing sanctions and export control advice to a global NGO providing humanitarian relief in conflict zones. He also advises a global pro-bono law firm in advocacy matters relevant to sanctions and export controls. He has also served on the board of directors of a nonprofit working to improve the mental health environment for university students.
- California~United States (2022)
- UCLA School of Law (2022)
- University of Notre Dame (BA) (2017)
- Editor-in-Chief, UCLA Journal of Islamic Law, Volume 20 (2022)
- Author, "Fire with Fire: Legalizing China's Economic Coercion Toolkit," UCLA Pacific Basin Law Journal, July 2022
- Author, "Sino-Russian Energy Dealmaking Since the Ukraine War: Somewhat Quiet on the (Far Eastern) Front," China Institute at the SOAS University of London, June 2022
- Author, "Chinese Sea Power: An Application of Mahanian Determinants to the Conditions of China," U.S. Naval Institute Blog, May 2022
- Contributor, Khaled Abou El Fadl, "Tensions in Tradition: Hadith, Gender, and Reasonable Interpretation," UCLA Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law, Volume 19 (2021), January 2022
- Editor-in-Chief, UCLA Journal of Islamic Law, Volume 19 (2021), January 2021
- Editor-in-Chief, UCLA Journal of Islamic Law, Volume 18 (2020), December 2020
- Co-author, "Islamic-based legal language and state governance: democracy, strength of the judiciary and human rights," Constitutional Political Economy, Volume 32 (2021), January 2020
- Contributor, Emilia Justyna Powell, "Islamic Law and International Law: Peaceful Resolution of Disputes," Oxford University Press, 2020
- Co-author, "Assessing Sharia Implementation in the Islamic World: A Holistic Approach," Yearbook of the Arab Association of Constitutional Law, January 2019 (Arabic and English)
- Contributor, Emilia Justyna Powell, "Islamic Law States and the Authority of the International Court of Justice, Territorial Sovereignty and Diplomatic Immunity," International Court Authority (277–299), Oxford University Press (2018), July 2018
- Contributor, Emilia Justyna Powell, "Islamic Law States and the Authority of the International Court of Justice: Territorial Sovereignty and Diplomatic Immunity," Law and Contemporary Problems (Duke School of Law), Volume 79, March 2016
- Speaker and Co-panelist, Booz Allen Hamilton's Annual Emotional Wellness Symposium, Booz Allen Hamilton, McLean Virginia (2019)
- Co-presenter, "Constitutions, Legal Practice, and the Measurement of Sharia-based Institutions," Religion and State Conference, Arab Association of Constitutional Law, Tunis Tunisia (2017)