Lina Nemchenko is partner in Baker McKenzie's Real Estate Practice Group in Kyiv and she is head of the Employment & Migration practice.
Lina was named "Best in Real Estate" by European Women in Business Law Awards, and she is the only Ukrainian lawyer to ever receive this accolade.
Lina has extensive experience in advising both domestic and foreign clients on a wide range of real estate and construction matters, including advising on structuring major office and shopping center acquisitions, property development projects and various land-related transactions. She also has extensive expertise in landlord-tenant relations and in advising a number of the Firm's clients on setting up real estate investment funds for investing in Ukrainian real estate. She also regularly advises clients on data protection and general labor law.
Among the large international companies Lina represents are McDonald's, Boeing, Oracle, Billa Ukraine (REWE Group), IKEA, ArcelorMittal and she also advises the governments of Canada, the US and the UK.
Lina is also involved in legislation drafting in the real estate and employment areas.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised EBRD and the Ministry of Communities and Territories Development of Ukraine on reforming the construction sector's regulatory framework in Ukraine. The project is aimed at supporting the construction sector's regulatory reform and the wider use of FIDIC contracts in Ukraine.
- Advised IKEA on the launch of operations in Ukraine and business expansion.
- Advised Brookfield, a major international asset management company, on the establishment of a joint venture with a local co-investor to develop and operate an IT park in the city of Lviv.
- Advised International Finance Corporation in connection with the Residential Energy Efficiency Project in Ukraine.
- Advised METRO Cash and Carry Ukraine in connection with the acquisition, construction and lease of real estate in Ukraine.
- Advised the world's largest chain of fast food restaurants on real estate and compliance law matters.
- Advised a leading manufacturing group based in Saudi Arabia, as well as a number of European and US investors, on structuring investments into the Ukrainian agricultural sector.
- Advised ArcelorMittal on labor law issues in the context of the privatization of Kryviy Rih Mining and Metallurgical Mill Kryvorizhstal and continued support on employment and migration law issues, engagement of top executives, fraud investigations, terminations, trade unions and collective disputes, among others.
- Advised the governments of Canada, the US, the UK and others across the full spectrum of real estate and employment law issues.
- Hall of Fame (Real Estate Practice), The Legal 500: EMEA, since 2017
- "Best in Real Estate," Euromoney European Women in Business Law (the only Ukrainian lawyer to receive this award)
- Band 1 in Real Estate in Ukraine, Chambers Europe, since 2008
- Leading lawyer in Real Estate, Construction and Land, "Ukrainian Law Firms: A Handbook for Foreign Clients," for many consecutive years
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kyiv City Bar
- New York Bar Association
- CEO Club
- Ukrainian Real Estate Club
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine – Parliamentary Working Group on Labor Code Drafting
- British Ambassador – Honorary Legal Advisor since April 2013
- Supervisory Board for the Ronald McDonald House Charities – Member
- Women's Professional Club – Project leader
- Baker McKenzie EMEA Real Estate Steering Committee - Member
- New York~United States (2002)
- Ukraine (1998)
- University of California at Los Angeles (LL.M.) (2001)
- Shevchenko Kyiv National University (Master Degree in Law, with honors) (1998)