Lina Nemchenko is partner in Baker McKenzie’s Real Estate Practice Group in Kyiv who practices mainly in real estate, corporate, employment and migration law. She has headed the Employment & Migration practice since 2011. Ms. Nemchenko has been named Leading lawyer by Legal 500 EMEA 2016 Directory and cited by Chambers Europe for her "deep experience in handling the peculiarities of Ukrainian law." Chambers Global has also ranked Ms. Nemchenko as a leading individual in her area of practice for many years. In 2016 according to the research project Ukrainian Women in Law conducted by Yurydychna hazeta (the Ukrainian weekly). Ms. Nemchenko was listed among the 24 most successful female lawyers in Ukraine. Lina has been highly recommended by PLC Which Lawyer? for her work in real estate and construction, and has been acknowledged as one of the top advisers by Ukrainian Law Firms: A Handbook for Foreign Clients. In April 2013 Lina Nemchenko was assigned to the position of Honorary Legal Advisor to the British Ambassador.
Ms. Nemchenko has extensive experience advising local and foreign investors on a wide range of matters related to investing in various types of commercial, industrial and agricultural real estate in Ukraine, including by means of establishing a joint venture between an international investor and a Ukrainian partner. She has assisted landlords and tenants of major Kyiv business centers and shopping malls in drafting and negotiating lease and other contracts. Ms. Nemchenko’s track record includes advising Firm clients on establishing real estate investment funds with a focus on Ukraine.
She also regularly advises clients on data protection and general labor law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised International Finance Corporation in connection with Residential Energy Efficiency Project in Ukraine, including on drafting legal and regulatory acts governing ownership issues in multifamily housing and activities of the homeowners association.
- Advised Quinn Group, a large Irish property investor, on the USD95 million acquisition of Leonardo Business Center in Kyiv and on the USD59 million acquisition of shopping mall Univermag Ukraina. Advised on acquisition structuring, due diligence, related financing issues and leasing of the property to the new tenants.
- Advised METRO Cash and Carry Ukraine, and METRO Asset management in connection with acquisition, construction and lease of real estate in Ukraine.
- Represented KDD Group, one of the leading real estate investment and development groups in Ukraine, in the sale of SKY Towers project to US investors.
- Advised a leading manufacturing group based in Saudi Arabia as well as a number of European and US investors with respect to structuring of investments into the Ukrainian agricultural sector.
- Advised ArcelorMittal on labor law issues in context of privatization of Kryviy Rih Mining and Metallurgical Mill Kryvorizhstal and continued support on employment and migration law issues, top executives engagement, fraud investigations, terminations, trade unions, collective disputes, among others.
- Advised the governments of Canada, USA, Great Britain and others across the full spectrum of employment law issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kyiv City Bar
- New York Bar Association
- PSI Board - Member
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine – Parliamentary Working Group on Labor Code Drafting
- New York~United States (2002)
- Ukraine (1998)
- University of California at Los Angeles (2001)
- Shevchenko Kyiv National University (1998)
Author, Articles on real estate & construction issues in Ukraine for the major international and Ukrainian business publications
Participant/Speaker at professional and business conferences
Commercial Property Magazine
Peculiarities of PPP and perspectives in Ukraine