Hania is an associate within the Cairo office of Baker McKenzie. Prior to joining the Firm on January 2018, she worked at the Egyptian Competition Authority where she was involved in numerous competition law cases in several sectors such as Pharmaceuticals, Automotive, Food and Beverage, Information and Communication Technology, Sports Media Rights and Entertainment. She was also assisting the committees drafting internal regulations and draft laws.
Hania focuses her practice on Antitrust and Competition law, Hania advises clients on Antitrust Litigation, Cartels, Investigations and Dawn Raids, Monopolization, Merger Control & Joint Ventures. Additionally, Hania focuses her practice as well on compliance law; she is very experienced in conducting the first and second level of an e-search review in various industries, such as oil and gas, online mapping platforms and media. She has attended assessment and strategy meetings and assisted in drafting the findings and the risk assessment report. Hania also focuses her practice on International Trade Compliance, Customs & Trade Agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
Antitrust & Competition
- Represented Daimler AG in internal investigations related to compliance with Egyptian competition law.
- Acted for the Confederation of African Football before the Egyptian Competition Authority and the COMESA Competition Commission with respect to acts conducted in violation of Egyptian competition law and COMESA Competition Regulations.
- Acted for a group of medical suppliers before the Egyptian Competition Authority in settling a bid rigging cartel case.
- Acted for a claimant before the Cairo Economic Court of Appeal in a private damages action following a cartel finding decision by the Egyptian Competition Authority.
- Advised Mars on its pricing strategy in Egypt and its compliance with the Egyptian Competition Law.
- Advised ASICS on Egyptian apparel labelling requirements, according to the standards adopted by the Egyptian Organization for Standardization and Quality.
- Advised Johnson Controls, Inc. on the introduction of a new Pictogram Booklet Manual, including safety instructions, and its compliance with the Consumer Protection Law and Egyptian standard
- Conducting first and second level of e-search review in various industries such as oil and gas, online mapping platform, and media. Attending assessment and strategy meeting and assisting in drafting the findings and the risk assessment report.
- Advised Amazon in connection with Customs Law.
- Conducted several compliance surveys related to privacy laws in Egypt.
- Egypt (2018)
- University Jean Moulin Lyon III (Master in Public Business Law) (2017)
- Cairo University (Faculty of Law - French Section) (2016)
- Co-author, "Judicial Perspective of the Egyptian Competition Law," OECD Competition Committee, MONTH/YEAR
Helmy Hamza & Partners is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.