John Murphy is a trial lawyer helping businesses address and resolve legal issues throughout the world. John is a partner in the Firm's Chicago office. John regularly appears in federal and state courts throughout the United States, as well as in domestic and international arbitrations. John also manages cross-border investigations and simultaneous legal proceedings in multiple jurisdictions.
John's practice is principally focused on matters involving corporate governance, employment law, fiduciary wrongdoing, business divorce, partnership, joint venture and distribution disputes, shareholder claims, post acquisition disputes, trade secret theft and related business torts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained judgment after a trial totaling USD 3.5 million on behalf of a publicly-traded global consumer products company on claims against a former senior executive and his new employer for breach of fiduciary duties, and aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duties. Affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained judgment entered after trial in Delaware Court of Chancery in favor of five public pension funds, declaring valid the removal of general partner of USD 70 million real estate limited partnership. Affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained an order on appeal reversing an USD 11 million-jury verdict and entering judgment in favor of founders of electronic stock exchange Archipelago on fraud claim brought by former business associate.
- Obtained the dismissal of shareholder derivative claims against a global pharmaceutical company and defeated a motion to enjoin acquisition.
- Obtained a permanent injunction on behalf of a publicly-traded global insurance brokerage firm, blocking several former executives unfairly competing.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction on behalf of a publicly-traded aerospace and defense firm, enjoining the sale, transfer or encumbrance of stolen aircraft engine.
- Obtained an order freezing attorneys’ fees that were the subject of a dispute among current and former law firm principals.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against a limited liability company for aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duties and corporate usurpation.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a food company against former executives for breaching their fiduciary duties by forming a rival business. Affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained preliminary injunction in favor of a software corporation on claims for violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and the Illinois Trade Secrets Act.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit~United States (2002)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan~United States (2001)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1994)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1989)
- Illinois Supreme Court~United States (1988)
- University of Illinois College of Law (JD)
- University of Notre Dame (BA, Honors)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.