Marnin Michaels has been practicing for more than 20 years in the areas of tax and international private banking and handles insurance matters relating to tax investigations and wealth management. He counsels clients on US withholding tax and qualified intermediary rule, as well as money laundering avoidance legislation. Marnin was a member of the firms Steering Committee leading the US Department of Justice Initiative for Swiss Banks. In the end, the firm acted for 45 banks and the project won litigation firm of the year by American Lawyer Magazine.
Widely regarded as one of the world’s leading wealth management lawyers, Marnin is on the Firm’s European tax steering committee, chairs its European wealth management committee and is a member of the global wealth management steering committee. He is also Tax Chair of the Firm’s Global Africa Initiative.
In addition to writing extensively for many publications, Marnin has also authored two legal treatises: International Taxation: Withholding and International Estate Planning (both published by Thomson Reuters). Marnin also teaches in several LLM and MBA programs on various tax issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Tax Section
- American Bar Association - Tax and Real Property Probate Sections
- Florida Bar - Real Property and Probate Section
- Florida~United States (1998)
- Massachusetts~United States (1997)
- New York~United States (1997)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (1997)
- University of Miami School of Law (LL.M.) (1997)
- Syracuse University (J.D.) (1996)
- Syracuse University (Master of Arts International Relations) (1996)
- Wilkes University (B.A. cum laude) (1992)