Marnin J. Michaels
Marnin Michaels is a senior partner at the Baker McKenzie Office in Zurich. Marnin has been practicing more than 20 years in the areas of tax and international private banking. He handles insurance matters relating to tax investigations and wealth management, as well as counsels clients on issues relating to US withholding tax, qualified intermediary rule and FATCA. He also advises on issues related to potential tax evasion and cross-border regulatory issues, as well as money laundering avoidance legislation.
Marnin was a member of the Firm's Steering Committee addressing the firm's US Department of Justice Initiative for Swiss Banks. In the end, the Firm acted for 45 banks and the project won Litigation Firm of the Year from American Lawyer Magazine Award in 2015.
Widely regarded as one of the world's leading wealth management lawyers, Marnin is on the Firm's European tax steering committee and co-chairs its European wealth management committee.
Marnin focuses on all matters relevant to the wealth management industry and its clients.
In addition to writing extensively for many publications, Marnin also authored two legal treatises: International Taxation and Withholding and International Estate Planning, which were both published by Thomson Reuters. He also lectures in several LLM and MBA programs on various tax issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Tax Section
- American Bar Association - Tax and Real Property Probate Sections
- Florida Bar - Real Property and Probate Section
- Syracuse University College of Law - Board of Advisors
- Chair, Syracuse University European Regional Counsel
- Florida~United States (1998)
- Massachusetts~United States (1997)
- New York~United States (1997)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (1997)
- University of Miami School of Law (LL.M.) (1997)
- Syracuse University (J.D.) (1996)
- Syracuse University (Master of Arts International Relations) (1996)
- Wilkes University (B.A., cum laude) (1992)